View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 12:45 PM

Multiple bitches - breeding too young, too frequently? Opinions?

I am posting this in debates.
I have just come from the vets - and have had a conversation with a couple I just wanted people's views please.
The couple had a staff bitch - nice bitch bitch 1 to be scanned for pups - I got chatting to them the bitch is just 14 months old - a little young I think. They told me about the pups I thought the pups that were due But no they have a bitch also Staff - 18 months bitch 2 who has a 3 week old litter of dog pups - they wanted a bitch pup to keep.

They also had a 4 year old bitch No3. mom bitch No2 who'd had 1 bitch pup who they had to give to the stud dog owner they said and 3 dogs pups they sold. They also had litter sister of bitch No1 who was due in season anyday they said and they would mate here too - they have their own dog now they will use - to save giving a pup in exchange he is brother of Bitch No 2.
I asked about health checks and they said they were - eyechecked - they seemed nice people who liked their dogs does this seem excessive to anyone but me. I am not sure - something did not seem right.
To recap;
They have a 4 year old bitch on litter No 3.
They have a son and daughter from above bitch. - Both 18 months the bitch has had a litter already.
The dog has sired the litter from one of their bitches and is due to sire another.2 litter sisters 14 months old. One expecting a litter one due in season to be mated. And is due to sire another within days. Thats 5 dogs under 4.

I have seen them around but did not know they had that many dogs. They live in a normal council house with a smallish back garden - just seems a lot of dogs. They sell the pups for £500 each and hope to get a blue one day!
I am not biased to people who live in council houses - I live in one.

What do people who have more than one bitch do when they have litters? does this seem odd/excessive to you or is it me?.

Karen
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-04-2005, 01:24 PM
HMmmmmm . no its not you. I wonder if they are registered? IMO 14mths if too soon to mate a bitch but some people do it.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I don't breed from my girls until they are around 2 years of age, or closest season to their second birthday, but saying that I suppose it depends on how mature the bitch is, but I personally wouldn't breed from them before 2

My Daisy is 4 and had her 2nd litter at Christmas
My Rosie is 6 and had her 3rd litter at Christmas (then was spayed)
Poppy & Jasmine both 2 haven't had litters yet
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah 2 years I would say is about right. I dont know why people are in such a rush to breed their animals, let them be pups and mature at their own pace....what difference does it make waiting a few months and letting your pup fully mature and be just that - a pup...if the dog produces good pups it produces good pups whether it is 16 or 26 months.

That said not everybody is concerned about their dogs and not everybody puts the dosg welfare first. Some people are driven by greed and/or stupidity.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Definitly to young to have pups from her I have always heard that it is best to not to have a dog have pups before it is at least 2 years old.

It sounds as though they do love their dogs, but at the same time, it seems to be a bit of a money making machine for them. Perhaps the vet should be making them aware that the age they are trying to breed from their dogs is too young and to try and get them to rethink. If I was the vet that is what I would do.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Are they mating brother and sister? Or have I just picked it up wrong I read to quickly at times
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Hmmmmm, I don't breed (both mine male, anyway), but my Mum did. I'd have thought that 18 mo is a tad too early - my Mum worked on the principle that 3rd season was about right for the 1st litter, perhaps she was just playing safe?

The best time may be earlier than we think (after all, best time for human females - physically only - is said to be c.14, but it's illegal!), but I wouldn't "push it"

Leaving it a bit longer ought to ensure that the bitch is physically fit. I may be misreading the post, but it sounds to me as though ££££ may be the driving force here, although I wouldn't want to condemn without a bit more evidence :smt102

Snorri
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Kazz this is happening all over the country, I like you don't think it right, it is very difficult to do justice to that amount of Staffords, especially if they are constantly in pup. Then again some may see it differently.
Runstock
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Housedog
Kazz this is happening all over the country, I like you don't think it right, it is very difficult to do justice to that amount of Staffords, especially if they are constantly in pup. Then again some may see it differently.

I think that is the major problem...too many people take themselves out of the puppy/breed over population equation and justify it in thinking that loving their own dogs/breed is a good enough reason to produce litters.

It is always everyone else who drops litters where the problem lies They fail or stubbornly refuse to see themselves involved in the larger picture/problem.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Well I don;t know if it was after speaking to these people but today in B'ham I have seen in the pet shop window two different adverts for SBT pups one set 13 weeks the other 11 weeks - both say ready to go and in the Evening mail pups aged 14 weeks. It tells me too many being bred - without anywhere for them to go.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >