Our sister sites
Our sister sites
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2006, 08:43 PM

Which Food

Hi All

I have been looking for a good food that i can put my dogs onto. I have been thinking about changing their food for a while now.

However on a recent visit to the Vets as my Collie x was severly itching all the time and making a mess of his ear, the Vet said he could be allergic to his food. This made my mind up to change their food.

I was at a Dog show on the weekend with a friend, and went around the different food tents to see what was on offer.

I came across a food called Arden Grange. My dogs love it and antoher nice thing is,they do not test on animals, (unlike, Iams, Eubanuka, Pro Plan etc).

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has their dogs on it or if they know anything about the food. Good/bad etc.

Thanks
Casper & Freckles's Mum
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 08:59 PM
I've never used it but have heard good things about it. If you want to feed a complete food Burns is another good one. A couple of good wet ones are NatureDiet and NatureMenu. I have my dog on home prepared, raw diet and he doesn't have any allergy problems.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I fed Finn Arden Grange for 5 days in which time his paws, ears and eyes became red and inflamed because of the corn in it He had to have antibiotics and steriod cream to clear it up.

If your dog has allergies corn is one of the ingredients I would cut out of the diet, along with any wheat.
AlbionLass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2006, 08:21 AM
I would give Burns a try, I've used it with various dogs for 3 years now and find it excellent. If you contact them they will send you samples and info.
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

I do supplement with raw food as well though, Burns say that you should feed their food excusively but I have never had a problem.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 08:33 AM
If you find your dogs do well on it, it is a decent commercial dog food...whether they do well on it or not should be the ultimate deciding factor. If they have no allergies on it I would recommend it, as it is a reasonable price and as good as those that cost a good few pounds more, maybe better then some.

My dogs were on it...they did ok-ish but didn't really thrive and due to both of them not doing well at all on any of the cereals used in commercial dog food they never did 100% well on any...They are now on a raw diet and are doing the best ever
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 08:35 AM
we have been feeding burns for a while here and have no itching problems ..its worth getting a free sample or buying a small bag to try

good luck
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Hi there,

I have just moved Takara onto James Wellbeloved as she has got a skin infection and James Wellbeloved is hypoallergenic (it's also lower in protein which dallies need). Takara adores it and eats it much more readily than she has ever eaten her other food. It's also £5 cheaper than proplan!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 10:03 AM
arden grange is a good food to feed, so if ur dogs are doing well on it then keep them on it.

as others have said burns is a good dry food. i feed indie on nature diet, which is a good wet food
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 11:03 AM
We swap between James Wellbeloved and Burns, Cassie seems fine on either.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:50 PM
We feed James Well Beloved the 'duck and rice',funny though that we found the 'turkey and rice' made him itch and im sure that one was for sensitive skins ???
He has always done well on the 'duck' and we also feed nature diet (all of the flavours) as well.
It varys so much from dog to dog,some will thrive on one that another does poorly on,you just need to find and stick with something that they are looking 'well' on and is suitable for you.
We were lucky i guess to find a food straight away that ours have continued to do well on.
You'll have to let us know which one yours eventually settle with(out of interest) good luck xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >