Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-04-2005, 11:27 PM

regurgitating food for pups

we were talking about pups and breeding at the club last night and when i said all my bitchs that i have had a litter out of have always regurgitated food for their pups to feed on a few seemed to think this was unusual and a couple who have been in the dogs a long time said they havent seen a bitch do this in a while to me this is perfectly normal ...so what about those of you who take a litter do your girls regurgitate for their pups or not just curious to find out if it is unusual or not
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Ive not bred Minty but I have heard this before
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2005, 11:39 PM
no mine have never done it........
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Chloe did it... It was disgusting!lol I suppose its pretty normal though. She only did it once though as we didn't really want to encourage it..
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 07:58 AM
My bitch never did it, but yes I have heard of it and it does seem quite natural. I also heard its best to try and discourage it by feeding the bitch away from the pups and keeping her away for a bit.

Mitch
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Mine have all done it, , i try and keep mums a way from pups at this stage for at least an hour after they have eaten when they get to this stage. I also feed small kibble puppy food to mums, just in case they regurgitate when i,m not there, so puppies can,t choke if they try to eat it.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 09:43 AM
We have recently had a litter, and the mother did regularly regurtitate her food, this I know is a natural thing for her to do so I allowed it, to a certain time, as the pups were being fed by me eventually, they were getting nurishment, so I did have to seperate mother after feeding for a while so she wouldnt do it, she was getting thin. they were about 7-8 week when she was doing it, and if she and the pups had their own way she would still be fetching her meals up to them now and they are 17 weeks old lol

Mo
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2005, 09:46 AM
My girls do it too, no matter how long we keep them apart from their pups after they've fed, they can always manage to regurgitate hours afterwards..........Rosie always did it after eating TRIPE!!!! :smt078