Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2008, 05:18 PM

Puppy do's and don'ts

I have been reading a book about cavaliers, and some of the 'golden rules' seem unusual to me. Please let me know if they are correct or not, so I can implement them to both my young dog, and my new puppy.

1. don't let dogs climb stairs in the first year
2. don't let them drink straight after a meal

I should add that the other puppy books I read before getting Murphy said nothing of the sort. Murphy has never had a problem with stairs, and you have to climb stairs to get into our flat. Help!
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-04-2008, 05:47 PM
As for the stairs, this is because of strain on their growing joints. However it tends to mean more about letting them charge up and down the stairs as to going up and down them. Teddy who is eight weeks is already going up and down when he wants and not a lot will stop him

As for the water after eating. This is usually when they have eaten dried food and then immediately drink which swells the food too quickly. Again, I have never really worried about this as mine don't seem to do it anyway.

Julie
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi Vawny yes I would agree with that,
Puppies should not go up and down stairs because as Julie says they can damage growing joints,
I would say don't let them drink large amounts of water straight after eating dried food in particular, but I would never restrict water intake altogether except on the advice of a vet.
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Thank you. We have a baby gate at the stairs so Murphy can only go up and down when entering or leaving the house. The book had me worried I was doing it all wrong! Now I understand, thanks again. xx