Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fix
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Best dry dog food for 1 year old Akita?

Hi im about to get an Akita bitch which is 1 year 4 months old.

She's currently being fed on Bakers complete but after reading up on it ive heard bad reports such as it containing cancer causing ingredients which are banned for human use.

Ive tried to look for a decent substitute dried dog food thats not reallycheap but not too expensive either,probably something around £15-20 for 15 kilos.

I think to be honest theres too much choice and im not really sure what is good and bad,i know ones which are based on meat are the best.

Can anyone recommend some decent brands which contain good ingredients for a 1 year old Akita?

Thanks!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Most of the better complete foods cost about the same, and if you can't afford that you would be best keeping her on the food she is used to. I would anyway not change her food for about 8 weeks she will find changing homes stressful enough without your changing her food as well. A reasonable quality cheaper food is complete Chappie, made I believe by Pedigree – (Mars)

At 1 year the Akita is far from grown and should have quality food at least till fully mature (2 to 2 1/2 years) However you can't change what has gone before you had her and I would suggest, Arden Grange, Burns, or any of the other makes without additives that dogs do not need.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 03:14 PM
how about autarky, i have heard lots of good things about it and it is less than 20 pound a bag. also nothing artificial, all natural
fix
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes I agree its best to leave her on Bakers till she settled in her new home it will be a strange time for her.

Bakers is about £25 for 15kgs so its not that im saying its not affordable Ive just heard bad things about it thats all.

And I think at whatever age dogs should be on a qualtity food,I just think there must be some decent brands around the £20 mark for a 15kgs bag just like the well known bakers is. Ill have a look at Chappie and see what the ingredients are

And I've never heard of Autarky havent seen it in any shops or online Kirsty
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:06 AM
What about Skinners?
The Field and Trial - hypo allergenic one, Duck and Rice variety.
That's £18.49 RRP for a 15kg bag.
That's what a lady that runs one of our breed rescue's recommends as an affordable food without all the extra colourants and additive's that can send dogs hyper...
http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/pr...-and-rice.html
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by fix View Post
And I've never heard of Autarky havent seen it in any shops or online Kirsty
It is available and is a good quality food. Personally I use Arden Grange but have, in the many years I have owned dogs, tried many and found that when I had to economise and used the food I could afford rather than the food I would have preferred the dogs still did well and did not seem to suffer any ill effect. The cheaper food was either Repnor Gold or Chappie.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Cheap foods can sometimes be a false econmony, either with causing problems for the dog or actually having to feed more of it so in the long term works out more expensive than a more expensive brand. I know those who have largish dogs on Arden Grange go through one back every 8 weeks so costs about £15 a month to feed or 50p a day, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things!
Becky
fix
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the replies that gives me a much better idea.

Mahooli if my Akita costs £15 a month to feed on Arden Grange id be very happy! Id be perfectly happy to spend that I was thinking she will cost around £30 a month to feed anyway.

I'll look at the brands mentioned see what I think,Ive seen Autarky for £18 a bag tho it says the junior mix is best upto 24 months.Also Pero seems to be recommended on here

Also what do people think about feeding wheatabix for breakfast? My friend feeds his golden retriever on this swares by it.
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I too think Arden Grange is a great food, but mine chewed their feet when on it...so unfortunately I can't feed it.

I think it's probably a case of trial and error to find out what is best for your dog.

As every dog is different and what suits some may not suit another.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by fix View Post
Also what do people think about feeding wheatabix for breakfast? My friend feeds his golden retriever on this swares by it.
Totally unnecessary and some dogs are allergic to cows milk, give her a carrot instead or a large dog biscuit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >