Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 12:11 PM

Rescue Kennels

Is it just me or are there more dogs than bitches who end up as rescue cases? Is a dog really that much harder to look after than a bitch?
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
i found it easier to look after my male dog. when i had a bitch it was hard work, when she went into season. i wasnt prepared for that.
i know alot more now thanx to this site
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't think they're harder work, its all down to the individual dog and how they are raised.

If there are more in rescue, it may be because un-neutered males may have more of 'wonder lust'...always in search of a bitch in heat.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 01:13 PM
When we looked round with my son last year, I was shocked how many male BC's were in Birmingham Dogs Home........and some were nasty. It upset me as I wondered what had happened to them to make them like that.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
When I was looking for a rescue bitch I found there were very few, there were far more males.
It might just be coincidence at the time you are looking.
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
i think there are a few issues about more males in rescue, 1 dogs are cheaper to buy than bitches and to be honest most that go into general rescue , (as opposed to breed specific rescue) are non registered 2 the dogs are not castrated and therefore the adolescent problems arise and people arent prepared to work at it. easier to make excuses that the dog is aggresive or untrainable when it really boils down to some owners cant be bothered blame the dog. I must piont out now that there are many genuine reasons that dogs come into rescue so I am not tarnishing everyone with the same brush so please don't take offence anyone
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
We certainly get more males than females into our Welfare Scheme. The majority of them are in the 10 months to 2 years age range as well, so it is during that period when they become leery teenagers - testing the limits constantly - that people tend to give up on them.
Siberian Huskies are considerably more pack oriented than most other breeds and if the owners allow the dog to become confused about its place in the pack order, it can easily become unmanageable.

Mick
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
It's not just me then. I've had both dogs and bitches and they've each had their share of awkward stages. If it is because dogs wander more than bitches then why don't the owners chip them and castrate them?

Perhaps you're right for some people it is just easier to give up on the dog rather than find the cause of the problem.
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
that is interesting...Where I live there are always a lot more females in shelters (some pregnant or with puppies) than there are males...
And people who come to adopt those dogs tend to look for males rather than for females...
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Poor doglets it's lovely when they are rescued x

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >