Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Getting Another Dog!?

We have been offered a black lab dog by one of the keepers the works for the same people as my OH, but on a different estate.

He is about a year and a half old, and we know both of his parents. He was bred by the headkeeper wife from one of their black lab bitches and our very own Hamish!!!

The keeper is having to give him up as he has started chasing sheep, but this is down to the sheep being able to get really close to the kennels and driving him mad!

I think my OH is really tempted, but if we do get him, then I am going to convince the OH to let me have him to work in the beating line! Poor Misty won't be able to cope with so many days, plus I don't think she'll be ready to go out untill christmas time!!
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Go for it!
Go on you know you will regret it later if you dont.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Sounds ideal

Cant wait to see some pics, does he have a name?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:48 PM
It sounds good, particularly if you can use him for beating.

The only thing I would say is - what happens if his sheep chasing persists - will you still be able to work him and if not, would you still want him?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Sounds like an opportunity not to be missed - although I would be concerned about his sheep chasing. Do you think it can be cured?

Did you find anything out about the black labrador shot over your way?
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 02:10 PM
His name is Dave! His story is a bit confusing, took me a while to get my head around it!

Basically, he was bred by the headkeepers wife, and as he had a hernia, she was happy to give him to a new owner, so they could pay to get the hernia sorted. One of the old keepers said he'll take him, named him Dave after himself, and asked the headkeepers wife to keep him until he had sorted out somewhere for him to live.
Well, headkeepers wife waited ages and ages for him to sort something out, but he didnt, so she started to do some work with him, and where she lives there is always sheep everywhere and he was fine, never chased them.

Anyway, she had her own dogs to concentrate on, so the keeper that has him know offered to take him, and has since moved from the estate that my OH works on to another one, about 40 mins from here.

The sheep chasing thing is just because the sheep can get so close to the kennels and they have just driven him mad.

I've got plenty of time on my hands, so can do stuff with him, like I did with Midge, who now doesn't chase rabbits, even when they dart out in front of him!

Moobli, I still haven't heard anything about the lab, I am in work on Monday, so will ask when I am in!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Sounds fab look forward to the pics!!! xx