Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 07:36 AM

Puppy classes

I have been really lucky with my pups to date as the classes have been professionally run and fantastic. The classes I've been attending with Cosmo are also fantastic, they are run by a friend who is an APDT member, big hall, 8 pups all under 18 weeks at the start of the 4 week course. Sadly the course ends on Tuesday and whilst Cosmo will go to the next class (an 8 week course) we are looking for a class that runs all the KC Awards.

Last night we sat in on another APDT members class...smaller hall...12 dogs (in the class there were another 5 watching!!!! ) The ideas were all good, but the noise level was awful and the trainer was obviously frustrated. Some of the dogs were stressed and although it was a puppy class, not one was under 6months. There were also a couple of dogs who were already showing a level of dog aggression (one incredibly well trained GSD snapped at 2 different dogs). Next week the trainer told them they would be doing off lead recalls!!!!!!

As I say a lot of stuff was good, but I don't think anyone got the messages as it was so loud..lots of 'don't yank your dog' etc....but no praise and no help given for those few (generally with the bouncy, friendly dogs) who just needed a bit of help with their handling techniques...people were 'lost' and it was such a shame...I'm not convinced the dogs learnt anything positive.

Is it just me? Have I been spoilt???? Or is this what classes are like out there?

We are off to puppy gundog class over the weekend where we know Cosmo is going to get some one to one with a trainer for as long as Cosmo is happy (without over exercising etc).

Just feeling a bit disheartened...this was an APDT class that we wanted my son to do the handling in, but having been we don't feel he would be safe to do so. My son doesn't want to do it either which speaks volumes as at our current class he's as keen as a keen thing!!! :smt002

I also felt really sorry for those people who were attending the class...they could learn so much more if the class was half the size...it was really manic in there.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 07:38 AM
What a shame, Ailsa. Is there nothing else in your area that may be a bit smaller (and quieter) for your lad?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 07:47 AM
There is another training school nearby, not run by anyone from the APDT that has been knwon to start dogs off on agility courses at 4 months.......so not going there then. All the others are a distance away or not great.

WE will go to the next course with the trainer we are with and continue to work on her to do more courses as she (and the other girl who does the course ) are brill.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Considering your vast experience with pups, Ailsa, I reckon you'd be brilliant as a trainer. Why don't you start your own classes?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 08:26 AM
To be honest Vicki that's what me and OH were saying last night. I'm sort of anti people setting up classes without 'paper' knowledge behind them too though and whilst I've done a vast amount of reading I have no official qualifications (other than my teaching one that is!!!!!) It is tempting though, I've been offered places on course in the past for this sort of stuff, but just haven't done it for one reason and another and also have an idea on the backburner with the friend who does the classes that are good.....
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Lots of thinking to do methinks.

In the meantime I want to do stuff with Cosmo!!!!!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Disappointing A, wishing you luck in possibly finding an alternative

When I first had Harvey we went to puppy training classes, I gave up after 5 weeks it was a nightmare. So good luck x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
That's just what I mean though Tracey...they should eb fun for everyone, pups and owners and people shouldn't want to give up....they should want more....so sad. Our dogs are such a big part of our lives it's nice to do fun stuff with them isn't it?!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 08:36 AM
I quite agree!! Which is why I am always looking for something new. The boys loved the hydro pool last week, as so did we all
I have found another place more local with a pool and also various other activities, along with training etc.

I may go check it out this morning
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
The hydrotherapy looked great!!!!
Hope the other place is good to...it's just nice to have fun and get out there with your dog and with a puppy it's even better in many ways as you are still getting to know each other...let us know how you get on if you visit...
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Sent you a link x