Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Defraging

Wondered if someone could answer my question. I have Windows Vista Home Edition. Does it defrag automatically, or will I have to do it myself and if so were do I find the defraging option.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
It's in start, all programes, accessories, then system tools.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
It's in start, all programes, accessories, then system tools.
Thanks for that
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Katiecoos View Post
Does it defrag automatically, or will I have to do it myself and if so were do I find the defraging option.
I have not got Vista yet but i would of thought you'll have to get it to analyze the drive the same as you did in XP then choose to defrag or not.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Can I just ask something about this defragging please?

My pc is about 4 years old now and it would never let me do it, until a couple of days ago I went in there, and 2 things came up and when I clicked on the first one and analysed it said it didn't need doing, but then the 2nd one it said it was recommended to do it. So I clicked, thinking it was a 5 min. job 1 1/2 hours later it had done it!!! What does it do then please? Is it beneficial to keep looking in there to see if you can defrag? Will it make the pc quicker? Does it sort of get rid of everything you've deleted over the years then? I really don't understand what this defragging is! Lol! There's a lot I don't understand, but I do like to know what I've done when I've done something!
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I am no expert Helen, but what I believe it does is this. When you delete anything or do a disk cleanup or delete internet files and cookies they make gaps in your computer and defraging closes all the gaps which is supposed to make your computer faster. It is quite normal for it to take a long time depending on how many gaps you have.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Is it beneficial to keep looking in there to see if you can defrag?
De-fragging Helen puts everything back in its rightful place.For example,if you opened 'Google earth'-your PC might not put it back in the right place ie in G folder.It might shove the program into T and when you click to use it next-your pc has to hunt to find it.

Its rather like a filing cabinet system and putting things back in alphabetical order.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Also the first defrag is always the longest. Any you do after that (I do mine about once a month) should be muh faster as you are putting things 'back' in their place more frequently
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Also the first defrag is always the longest.
Very true.A friend did hers and it took over 12hrs...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
De-fragging Helen puts everything back in its rightful place.For example,if you opened 'Google earth'-your PC might not put it back in the right place ie in G folder.It might shove the program into T and when you click to use it next-your pc has to hunt to find it.

Its rather like a filing cabinet system and putting things back in alphabetical order.
Ahhhh I see Sort of like the filing system I used to do when starting a new job It kind of made me indispensable when I had a day off coz nobody could find anything in my system!!! It's a good job they didn't employ one of those de-fraggers in my day then!

Thanks guys. I always wanted to know what it did, and it wasn't what I thought at all!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >