View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 04:57 PM

Dangerous Dogs.......What is the solution ?

I don't believe that banning breeds is the solution.

So what is the solution to all of this ???

Do we restrict certain breeds of dogs to certain people of certain ages ? or even certain areas ?

Do we reintroduce licencing for dogs ? or perhaps introduce a test like the driving test ? (Surely if people have to prove they are responsible enough to be in charge of a car, they should prove the same to be in charge of a dog !!!)

Do we legally introduce a ban on breeding crossbreeds, or breeding over a certain amount of purebreds annually ? or the amount of a certain breed ? or perhaps certain breeds only to show homes !!

Something needs to be done, but I dont think the Authorities are the best people to come up with something, so what in your opinion would work ??

Play nice
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Im thinking on the point that ANY dog can be a DANGEROUS dog. it is NOT breed specific. So any action should be equal for every breed/dog.
I think definitely registration of ownership of every dog owned inc all relevant info. breed, microchip number etc, a course should be attended and passed in order to gain the certificate/license of responsible ownership. Minimum age limit. Compliance with adequate housing and conditions for the dogs with inspectors to enforce.

It follows that imports and rescue dogs, byb's etc would need a lot of intervention to control or help or regulate where necessary.

Its a mass problem with many implications but i dont think that it should be ignored despite the enormity of the action required.

The effect of an established system should be less dangerous dogs by means of educated owners with dogs in better conditions.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 05:22 PM
I sadly, dont think there is a solution, all the above are great idea's for your "responsible breeder/owner" and i would've happily gone through a test of some sort or agreed to attend training or whatever was legally required but the problem lies with the "irresponsible breeders/owners" whom, if they want a dog they will obtain a dog by whatever means necessary, regardless of the "law"

How do you stop them going underground and doing it anyway, like is already happening?

I hope someone, somewhere does come up with a solution but as fast as you punish these people and take them out of the equation, there is someone else to take their place!
Callum
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
I sadly, dont think there is a solution, all the above are great idea's for your "responsible breeder/owner" and i would've happily gone through a test of some sort or agreed to attend training or whatever was legally required but the problem lies with the "irresponsible breeders/owners" whom, if they want a dog they will obtain a dog by whatever means necessary, regardless of the "law"

How do you stop them going underground and doing it anyway, like is already happening?

I hope someone, somewhere does come up with a solution but as fast as you punish these people and take them out of the equation, there is someone else to take their place!
Very true, my idea's would only be part of a bigger solution in an ideal world I guess.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I think a tighter control on breeding and sale of dogs would go some way to help but ultimately it doesn't matter what laws are brought in they will be totally ineefective if they aren't enforced. Which is exactly what happened with the DDA.
I think with current legislation we need a specific 'animal police' to take control of the animal situation, and I don't mean the RSPCA I mean proper police who have the authority to arrest people and take away their animals if there is evidence of abuse or neglect immediately.
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I agree re the animal police, something like they have in the States.

Legislation does need to change to the breeding and sale of animals, totally. WHY they still allow dogs to be sold in pet shops in this day and age is beyond me !!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 06:48 PM
When you go to rescue a dog from any organisation, there are numerous checks you have to go through, including home checks, garden, etc. etc. before they will let you have any of their dogs, and they're all speyed/neutred when you finally get them right? So how come, any old tom, dick or harry can just take a fancy to going out and buying a dog from anywhere, be it puppy farm, local rag, etc. etc. without having to go through ANY checks whatsoever?! That's what I don't like, and that's why we have so many homeless dogs, coz they either get fed up with them or can't handle them, etc. So if we can find some sort of legislation that people can't just go out and buy a dog willy nilly we might be half way there? Dunno, something has to be done, it's getting worse.

I know I keep using the same old scenario, but you can't just go out and buy a baby or child can you? No, you have to go through some serious red tape, so to me, why should any animal you can buy be so very different?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 06:51 PM
i think they should at least for everyone.. do some sort of lisencing test -

all dogs should be spayed/neutred/chipped/tagged etc - by law - and only x amount of people should be allowed to breed - registered breeders....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm all for that one too, only registered breeders please!!!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 06:55 PM
So we would need strict enforcing by someone, as many puppy farmers are registered as registered breeders with licences
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >