Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jodz
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2007, 12:39 AM

? on my dogs anal area - 7 yr old Shih-tzu

Hi there,

Newbie here....trying to figure out what might be wrong with my 7yr old Male Shih-tzu (Gizmo) - he is not nuetered.

We try to keep his fur shorter - but with the colder weather already here (in WI) - I leave him abit longer to stay warm....well sometimes when he has bowl movements - some sticks...(we call them clingers) - Anyway - we just put him in the tub and wash him off - but his anal hole is very, very red this time - doesnt look swollen - and it does seem to get red often......
I take him regularly to the vet - in fact he was just there about 8 weeks ago - and the vet tried him on Hills - hypoalergenic food - he had a few sores around his mouth....he also put him on antibiotics - the sores went away right away - so not sure if it was the food or the meds....everytime we go to the vet (a few times a year) I do have the vet empty his anal glands (they are always full when he checks) so they were done @ 8 weeks ago....he is not scotting on the ground....
I was just going to start him today on the Nutro - Lamb and rice food (abit cheaper than the hills) - so I cant blame the new food yet....that area seems to be red/sore alot??
Any ideas? can I try desitin cream on it??

Thanks,
Jodi
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-12-2007, 12:55 AM
I was thinking glands and getting his sacks squeezed but you say he's not scooting.

Fingal has a big puufy anus and has regular gland probs but I remember my last Spaniel had an infection in that area that transfered (obvious I guess) to his mouth because of washing.

I'm sure from memory it was AB's and high fibre but you seem to have these covered.

Just a thought.