Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 12:03 AM

Press Release

Cross posted,

Press Release - 17 December 2007
Smelling and sore - owner demands a police enquiry:

London dog owner, Glynis Walker was left shocked and upset after collecting her pet dog Kodee from a North London Police station last week. Kodee was returned after being seized from her son as a pit bull type on the 26th August under the Dangerous Dogs Act legislation; West London Magistrates court had ordered Kodee be registered and exempted as the law allows for dogs who are responsibly owned and deemed not of any danger to the public.
Glynis Walker and family were relieved pet dog Kodee would be allowed to live and excited to collect him from the Police Station car park last Thursday, however, feelings of joy and jubilation soon disappeared on the big day, Glynis explained: “The van doors opened and there was this awful smell, the van and Kodee smelt of excreta and there was Kodee trembling, thin, he’s legs kept shaking and he had cuts on his nose, he looked so sad I hardly recognised him.” Glynis’s 22 year old son was in tears and said: I would have rather Kodee was put down then to have suffered like that.”
Kodee was taken home and his owner Glynis telephoned the Endangered Dogs Defence & Rescue for advice, upon further examination it was also noticed that Kodee’s scrotom is red raw sore, he has stitches in from being neutered and the skin covering three of his huge tattoo numbers has torn. Glynis said: “What you can’t see from the photos is the smell, we had to bath him twice to try and remove it. I haven’t received any information about the stitches, they look tight and sore, the inside of his ears are black with dirt, the pads on his feet are yellow, he has scraps on top of his head, I don’t know if he needs anti-biotics, we are seeking medical advice from our own vet now, my grandson saw him and just cried, he’s lost his spirit and just sits there with his head low, I can’t thank the EDDR enough for their understanding and ongoing support, they have also provided a behaviourist to help Kodee.”
Kodee is just 18 months of age and has lived happily with his family from the age of eight weeks, he had never been in trouble and had been in kennels since August; a brief time compared to some dogs, but had the Index of Exempted Dogs be open for owner-led registration then he wouldn’t have needed to endure any time at all away from home.
Glynis Walker is contacting her MP to discuss her case and is making a complaint to the Met. Police concerning her dog’s condition. Amanda Dunckley of the Endangered Dogs Defence & Rescue said: “As more DDA cases come though this month with pet dogs held pending legal proceedings the instances of dogs being returned in poor condition instils further fear into the hearts of these already extremely anguished owners, responsible owners are caught in a living nightmare this Christmas as so many will be without their cherished pets locked away behind bars and all on account of how they look, it is a national disgrace.”
Glynis is asking other dog owners to please support the petition to re-open the Index of Exempted Dogs at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/reopenindex/?...298.f3c685
(Ends)
For further information please contact:
Amanda Dunckley – Endangered Dogs Defence & Rescue
Email: office@endangereddogs.com
Tel: 0870 77 78 925
Notes to Editors:
The Endangered Dogs Defence & Rescue (EDDR) is a voluntary run organisation which offers free information, education and advice to help, defend and better protect all dogs in need. We promote responsible dog ownership. EDDR campaigns, raises awareness and offers support on canine welfare issues. We give advice concerning dog related legal matters and legislation affecting dogs.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
how awful
i think that has to be the worst thing about this whole situation, these dogs do so badly in kennels, they love humans, and this case sounds terrible, probably alot of his injuries were caused throwing himself at the bars - if he wasnt used to being crated or kennelled he must have been terrified.

i imagine my bruno in these cases and it makes me so upset to think of how these dogs must worry.

i really hope that Kodee recovers intime - once back in his family life he should eventually.

but shocking that he has ever had to go through this in the first place.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 12:23 AM
The RSPCA should sue the police for cruelty they would if it was a member of the public. Its a disgrace.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Disgusting - and these are people we are encouraged to trust???
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 06:58 AM
That is absolutely disgusting I hope the family sues.... I doubt the poor dog will ever be the same again
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 08:44 AM
What I don't understand is why the people at these 'secret' kennels aren't looking after the dogs properly. I'm beginning to think they aren't real kennels at all. I hope it gets taken further and someone gets done for it.
Becky
Luna Wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2008, 10:20 AM
The way these poor dogs are treated in these so called kennels is a disgrace, this isn't the first time a dog has been released in this state and certainly at least one dog has died whilst being held. Something needs to be done and I don't think the RSPCA will be the ones to do it!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
why are these dogs not being treated properly in these so-called kennels??? why are the RSPCA not involved to make sure that the dogs are well-looked after? it is a disgrace and i hope the family sue the met police. the poor dog will never be the same again