Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 07:21 PM

i need a slap!!!!

im appling for a job which is 6 days a week - 4.30am till 8am - bcause of this::

before i bought my horse - i had one on loan - an exracer - at the time she was 3 grand- had done nothing and wasnt worth it imo! anyho - she got sold a week later - upset was an understatement

anyhoo - bough my now horse etc - shes never left my mind and cant stop thinking how differnt things would be etc

anyhow - i think - if its the same horse - shes up for sale - - ive emailed the person - if ive seen the correct horse - its 1500 - which seems weird tbh - like i said - if its the right horse - everything else seems right apart from the age

ok - evn if i dont get this job i can afford the horse with getting a few extra shifts etc in my job atm - but am i mad even considering this horse?????!!!!!
ive missed her for 2 years - do i take the chance??

like i said - it mite not be her... but if it is??

:smt001
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
No harm in asking
All I would say is give yourself a bit of time in your new routine first if you get this job, to see if you've time for another horse alongside Tuscan. I work a 37 hour week, and only have Salsa for four days now that I have my sharer, but I'm permanently exhausted (fair enough, I have my medical problems as well, chronic fatigue being one of them ).

What would you plan to do for livery? I seem to recall that you've had some problems at Tuscan's yard and are planning to move him - would you put the mare somewhere else? If so you'd also need to factor in the hassle of going from one yard to another every day.

There's no harm in finding out if this is your old mare, and I'm sure if you went for it, you'd get so much out of it, and I know how wonderful it would be to find my old pony up for sale and to buy her. Just have a good think about it - don't do anything on the spur of the moment

Make sure we get loads of piccies if you go for it!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Unless you have your own facilities I wouldn't consider going for two horses, and quite honestly, I can never understand why people do unless they're competing in a big way. The time factor in doing two horses every morning is one thing, let alone the cost, and all the riding coz both would need exercise (if Tuscan is fit of course by then!). So, you will be starting work at 4.30 am. until 8.00 am. then going up to muck out and feed and exercise 2 horses, so what time will you get finished then??? Perhaps around mid-day, and instead of coming home for something to eat and put your feet up you're off to work again???!!! OH dear, I feel a disaster coming on here!!! Sorry, just my opinion. Don't forget I've had horses for over 20 years so yes I do know how much time they take up and how much of my bank balance too! Don't forget shoeing either at £100 a month on top of all that food, hay, bedding, feed, rugs, vets...... oh I know all about it!

No ex-racer is worth £3K let alone £1.5K especially if they haven't done anything, more like £50 to take them off their hands and save them the cost of their keep! Why do you think they get rid of them????? They want to buy another one that wins races, but they don't sell those ones!

Personally I think you'd be mad. You've already talked about leaving home so how will you pay rent too as well as keeping two horses??? (you posted up a thread about leaving home!)

I used to keep mine on a diy basis and I can honestly say, he cost me a minimum of £80 a week doing it that way taking everything into account, so you can double that figure for two! Sit down and work it out, or keep a running total like I used to do and include everything you spend on Tuscan and then see if you can afford to keep 2?
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 08:45 PM
I fully agree with Helena54.

I have also owned horses for all of my life. We currently have 2 and have 2 1/2 acres. We are looking for a place with more land as it is not enough for the horses and dogs.

You have talked about moving and posted the houses you were looking at. I know the area extremely well that you were looking at, and none of the houses you posted were suitable for keeping a horse never mind 2. Can you afford to keep them both in livery?

When we moved from the UK to Ireland my parents looked after my horses for me for 2 years until we could get a house suitable and ready for my horse to be brought over to Ireland. The other was an ILPH horse and had to go back as we were unable to bring her to Ireland.

There are many horses that would be ideal and I really think you should not just jump into getting another unless you are 100% certain you have the time, money and facilities to accomodate them.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 08:56 PM
if you have missed her that much get her back and make it work xxxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Unless you have your own facilities I wouldn't consider going for two horses, and quite honestly, I can never understand why people do unless they're competing in a big way. The time factor in doing two horses every morning is one thing, let alone the cost, and all the riding coz both would need exercise (if Tuscan is fit of course by then!). So, you will be starting work at 4.30 am. until 8.00 am. then going up to muck out and feed and exercise 2 horses, so what time will you get finished then??? Perhaps around mid-day, and instead of coming home for something to eat and put your feet up you're off to work again???!!! OH dear, I feel a disaster coming on here!!! Sorry, just my opinion. Don't forget I've had horses for over 20 years so yes I do know how much time they take up and how much of my bank balance too! Don't forget shoeing either at £100 a month on top of all that food, hay, bedding, feed, rugs, vets...... oh I know all about it!

No ex-racer is worth £3K let alone £1.5K especially if they haven't done anything, more like £50 to take them off their hands and save them the cost of their keep! Why do you think they get rid of them????? They want to buy another one that wins races, but they don't sell those ones!

Personally I think you'd be mad. You've already talked about leaving home so how will you pay rent too as well as keeping two horses??? (you posted up a thread about leaving home!)

I used to keep mine on a diy basis and I can honestly say, he cost me a minimum of £80 a week doing it that way taking everything into account, so you can double that figure for two! Sit down and work it out, or keep a running total like I used to do and include everything you spend on Tuscan and then see if you can afford to keep 2?

Sorry but I agree with Helena,

In this instance yo have to let your head rule your heart.

Owning more than one, even on DIY is costly, 2 x Shoeing , Vaccinations, and so on..... let alone livery bills, not to mention the riding and schooling...and specialy an X racer, who will need hrs and hrs of remedial work, maybe never turning into a good hack, dont forget insurance

I think you have to in this instance allow you head to rule...difficult I know.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Unless you have your own facilities I wouldn't consider going for two horses, and quite honestly, I can never understand why people do unless they're competing in a big way.
Sorry, I disagree . There's nothing wrong with having several horses on DIY, if you can reasonably afford it. I would love to buy a house with land and stabling, but it's not likely.

It entirely depends on Suze's honest situation, as far as time and finances go. I agree that if she is considering moving out, then a second horse would be problematical (I am currently running a mortgage, car and my own ex-racer on a single income, and it's not an easy job, even with a sharer who contributes to his costs). However, if she continues to live at home, that outgoing is decreased. If Suze is determined to make it work, through sacrificing other aspects (my OH and I do without luxuries like magazines, or holidays), then it can work. However, Suze does need to weigh up the time and costs she has available and make a reasonable decision based on facts, rather than the hope that it will just pan out as she goes along.

When my OH finds a job, we're planning to get a second horse, on DIY livery. I know of people who have two, three or four horses on DIY livery with no problems (fair enough, none of us have money of our own - we may as well just direct debit it to our vets, farriers and livery yard owners!). A lot of people make a decision to have their horses and just do without other things.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:13 PM
If it were me, I would get her back. I've been in this situation with a horse, I let it go, and always regretted it.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Dont know much about horses although my Sister owned one when we were teenagers, however I would think it through again but also go with your heart, I would, you may live to regret it, wishing you had gone to see if it was the same horse and so on, but sleep on it then .....
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 11:14 AM
thank you for your honest opinions!!!

im not going to move out for a couple of years - me and mum have actually talked about it in depth and we have sorted outa lot of things

if this is the mare then im going to buy her providing the price is right - she can stay on the yard im at for now - im moving but because shes sound she can be turned away for a few months if i have a problem

as for financial - i would adveritse for a sharer - as many days a week as they want - for help with livery fees - say 0 pay the rent and go half on shoes etc...

she hasnt emailed me back yet - in one way im hoping its not - because i know it woudl be hard but then im hoping it is - because i shouldnt have let her go......