Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Postman Issues

(not that we've had any post, due to the strikes )

Max barks and goes crazy when the postman puts letters through the letterbox (barking, jumping up, hackles up).

However, he cannot see the front door or window from the kitchen, so can't see him coming up the driveway.

He has met our postman and taken treats from him and watched him put letters through the door.

It's only the sound (which is a very mild "snick" sound of the flap popping up) which seems to make him go crazy.

It takes him a while to calm down afterwards, and if we let him out, he just runs around barking until we calm him down.

What can we do? Is it worth standing outside and popping letters through with one of us giving a "quiet" command?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Get an external letterbox lol! That's what I did!
Becky
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-10-2007, 05:42 PM
I have a theory about dogs and postmen, which you can accept or reject, as you please!.........

Postman comes to house, but he doesn't come in.
Dog assumes this is because postman is not allowed in.
Therefore, dog assumes that it is dog's job to keep postman out.

????

Our postman often comes by for a beer after his week is done, and he's a very "doggy" person. My two know him well, and like him. They still bark at him, but I think they may be telling him that he hasn't had his beer yet...........

Snorri
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Hmm... Snorri,
I had a similar but different theory.
Postman comes to house, dog barks, postman goes away.
Dog doesn't realise that postie is leaving anyway so thinks barking has achieved desired consequence.

I can't do it now because the postie comes while I'm out but I did ask the postman not to leave until the dog had gone quiet (even if it meant me helping to silence her). He was very good about it, but now I'm never in when the post comes and she's got worse again - we really need to get an outdoor post box but I will still be practicing having a friend post letters through the letter slot.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Postman comes to house, but he doesn't come in.
Dog assumes this is because postman is not allowed in.
Therefore, dog assumes that it is dog's job to keep postman out.
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I had a similar but different theory.
Postman comes to house, dog barks, postman goes away.
Dog doesn't realise that postie is leaving anyway so thinks barking has achieved desired consequence.
I like both of these ideas...

But Max doesn't see the postman coming or going. For all he knows, it's me or my OH sat in the hallway making silly noises!

I could understand it if he had seen the postie coming up the driveway to the door. Is it then the (very small, weeny) noise that's freaking him out?
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Not only does Sam bark at the postie putting the letters through the door, he also barks at him if he sees him in the street, and that's any postie not just his own.Grrr!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh Maddy and Charlie are the same but they are ok with him outside. We have tried allsorts to no avail, getting him to give a treat even. They are ok if I see him coming and I sit them by the front door and tell them 'WAIT', 'til he's gone!

Most times though I don't sit looking out the window for post, only when I have been on ebay!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by elmac13 View Post
Not only does Sam bark at the postie putting the letters through the door, he also barks at him if he sees him in the street, and that's any postie not just his own.Grrr!
My mums dog will do this but a dog who walks with us, a border collie called Bobby, he's old but by god he goes MENTAL 'til postie is right out of view!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I like both those ideas!!
My lot HATE the postman! I was totally gobsmaked that one day I was returning from a walk and the postman was on the road outside my house, I walked up happy as larry and chatted to him, he just put his hand out to pat the dogs (nothing drastic, he was looking at me, not leaning over and not a fast or threatening move) and 2 of my dogs snapped at him!! I was totally shocked, they have been in loads of situations (totally surrounded by a group of special needs teenagers and patted and shouting etc) and not batted an eyelid! This poor postman just sighed and said every dog was like that with him! I still have no idea why they did it, but they now go berks even when they see the bike!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 07:44 PM
And people think posties have an easy life! I think they deserve their pay rise and I hope they get it.