Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loz
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Possible Hereditary Anal Furunculosis.

I am considering giving a home to a rescue Utonagan (GSD x Husky x Malamute) but am worried he may develop Anal Furunculosis in the future. He is 3 years old, castrated and in good health at present. His mother and one of his sisters have both had to be put to sleep because of uncurable cases of Anal Furunculosis. How likely is it that he will develop it? If he does develop it but we can control it (steroids/diet etc), will it greatly affect his quality of life - eg. will he still be able to go on long walks etc? And lastly, if he needs long term treatment roughly how much will this cost per year? Insurance will pay up to £4000 per year but I've read that the medication needed to treat it is very expensive. I would really appreciate any help with this as he is a lovely dog and I would like to give him a home.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2007, 12:31 PM
have a look here:

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/autoimmune.htm

plenty to keep you going, and a FAQs page too

incidentally, I would go through any insurance policy with a fine toothed comb, and dont just assume the dog will be covered for any AI condition, especially as there is a familial history.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2007, 05:15 PM
My boss had an Afghan with AF and she was successfully treated with cryosurgery and completely cured.
Dawn.