Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 11:10 AM

tendonitis help? (child not dog)

My eldest (12) has just been diagnosed with tendonitis in her ankle which affects her heel. I have to say the doctor I saw did NOT inspire confidence!! All he said was that she should wear some ordinary insoles in her shoes and take painkillers when it got bad.

She does all the normal school p.e activities and dances twice a week. (ballet/tap and modern). He said resting it would not help as as soon as she resumed these activities it would return.

She only gets the pain, during or after the above activities, normal use does not trigger it.

Does anyone have any experience/information about this. On reading online EVERY site i have seen including NHS direct reccomends, rest, cold and hot packs , pain relief and gradual return to activity.

I am inclined to sign her off all her activities for a fortnight and then see what happens after that. I feel I have been fobbed off. A 12 year old should not have to take pain relief 4/5 times weekly on a regular basis surely?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I am sorry I have no idea of any words of advice however my mom in her 70's has tendonititis of/in her hands. She finds moving them constantly ie knitting seems to keep them supple?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 07:00 PM
sorry to read this i know how she feels .....mine is after resting

first thing is total agony it takes me 15 mins after getting up to attempt going down the stairs

lets find something that will help us both
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I have achilles tendonitis in my left heel. It can be excruiciating, and I have been for a couple of physio sessions. Basically, the achilles tendon needs to be stretched (apparently) which is very painful. Well, I could hardly walk as it was so I knocked the physio on the head and took the advice of my doctor which was to wear at least a one inch heel. This takes pressure off the tendon and so eases the pain. If I am going to wear a flat shoe - a trainer for instance - I put gel heel lifts in - not quite as painless as wearing a proper heel, but my only heels are summer sandals...... . Doc said it would go eventually.....
Good luck honey xox
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
sorry to read this i know how she feels .....mine is after resting

first thing is total agony it takes me 15 mins after getting up to attempt going down the stairs

lets find something that will help us both
The really bad part is that her dancing triggers her pain. She has been dancing since she was 3 and is really very good. If she has to stop that she will be destroyed......

I have decided to stop all physical activity for 2 weeks, see what happens when she starts again and if it flares up again I will make an appointment with another doctor. I am not prepared to accept that there is nothing that can be done for her....

I have read a bit over the last week and the condition you have is slightly different to hers but basically give the same symptoms. She hobbles home from school some days if she has p.e.

I hope you get some relief soon.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 07:45 PM
now thats interesting Vicki as i was asked if i always wear flat shoes ?

gel heal pads where can i buy those
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I have the same in my ankle, get heel pads, they're gel ones, they will stop her from over stretching the tendon, try and get her to rest as much as possible, it will go down a lot quicker.

To buy heel pads, you're going to have to do a bit of shopping around, most chemists don't seem to have them, I think I eventually found some in boots. I had been looking for the heel blocks, but the pads were the best I could get. Try the internet, but I would definitely make sure she has the pads for the time being at least, and don't let her wear heels at all - it will only increase the time it will take for this to subside.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 09:23 PM
just bought some on ebay.....i will try anything the pain is that bad
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Keep us updated Inca. i`m off to look for some tomorrow for my girl. She will only wear ballerina pumps, so heels will be difficult , plus she has tiny feet so is still in childs sizes....we will have to start a support group.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-09-2007, 09:59 PM
That's a shame Rach - keep us informed with how she gets on.

I know what it's like at the moment being fobbed off by doctors. My MRI at the hospital showed normal wear and tear so not the place the nerve is pinching to give me my floppy foot. Still awaiting the electro tests on my leg but have since been back to the doc as my arm is killing me. Doc just said she'd contact the hospital and see if I could get that checked at the same time as my leg. I'm currently taking as much Ibuprofen and Paracetemol as anybody is allowed to but it's still very sore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >