Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-02-2005, 03:43 PM

What does he want?

The usual morning procedure in Snorri Mansions is that Mrs S gets up first (she's a bit of an insomniac), lets the dogs out for a widdle, makes herself coffee, then lets the little black-and-white plebs back in. They go back to their beds voluntarily, or hang about looking for handouts (which they don't get) - all in silence.

When I come through, I get the "good morning assault", then grab some coffee. Then the dogs get their breakfast biscuits, which they eat in silence.

Five minutes later, Snorri starts yapping. It's a very irritating, high pitched yap, the sort that makes cracks in your skull (he has a perfectly respectable "big boy" bark but seems to prefer yapping). We tell him "quiet!" - which he knows - but to no avail. We let him out again, and he goes briefly, then starts yapping to get in. As soon as he is back in, he starts with the irritating yap again. We've tried ignoring him, we've tried sending him to "Shame and Disgrace" in the corner, but nothing stops him.

Any ideas about:
a) why he does it and
b) how to shut him up?

It's impossible to carry on a conversation while he's at it!

Snorri
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Maybes he just wants to go for a walk or perhaps he knows that making that noise gets your attention? Some dogs like attention regardless of whether it positive or negative! I taught one of my dogs to sneeze on command but now he does it every morning whenever I give the other one any attention to try and distract me!!! It wouldn't be such a problem only he has a heart murrmur and the vet advised against any uneeded strain in case his heart gives way, it's got to the point where I have to hold his head to stop him smacking his face on the floor when sneezing........... which makes him sneeze even more!
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2005, 12:19 AM
I have the same problem with Blackie, only he whines and paws at you. But as soon as I sit in the cosy chair he comes and lies down beside me and goes to sleep, so, do they know something about us e.g. we are not quite well etc. Next time he does it try sitting in your cosy chairs and see what he does.

Ian
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-02-2005, 04:23 AM
He probably wants some of your porridge or a taste of the other delicacies which I am sure Mrs S lovingly cooks for your breakfast every day. Or, it could be his 'Song to the Morning' anticipating another exciting day at Snorri Mansions.

How to stop it? Give him a sausage, or, get cracking with the daily adventures.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't know why he does it, other than attention seeking (which is successful as you respond albeit negatively) but a method I have found effective in stopping senseless barking is to shake a can filled with pebbles. This usually startles then in to silence so that you can praise "quiet" & reward. The can may also be tossed in the dog's direction, but do not hit him with it. If the can is thrown it is more effective if the dog does not see where it comes from - a 'Hand of God" type thing.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

21-02-2005, 07:38 PM
My Border Collies do the same thing normally its for attention my only way so far of stopping it is to give them the attention!!

I tried the pebbles in a can but my dogs are far too sensitive and react badly to loud noises
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Emm, I am like you, the only way to win is to give in to them.

Ian
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 01:44 PM
He wants your attention, your company and your food.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 02:03 PM
I agree with all of the above!

Invest in some earplugs if you can't ignore it easily!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 04:16 PM
I agree its attention -My two are in and out like a fiddlers elbow in the mornings
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

12-03-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi

More than likely attention seeking. negative or positive is all the same to the attention junkie.

Easiest way is either training disc's, originally invented by John Fisher or make you own noise aversion bottle. I dont use a can it is too noisy and makes a sharp sound.

You have to be careful if your dog is timid or nervous of noise. If this is the case think twice about this method or do it far gentler with just a few pebbles in the bottle.

Heres an article on the technique I wrote a year or so ago.

Noise Aversion Therapy.

Quite often a simple noise aversion technique can stop many unwanted and irritating behaviours such as jumping up aggression, barking and predatory chasing such as cats and other dogs.

Firstly you must make your noise aversive device, the best I have found is the small plastic bottles we get water or lemonade etc in, if they have had something sticky in them wash them out and dry first. Then quarter fill them with either small pebbles dried peas or really anything that really makes a good rattle, screw the top back on.

Now get some tasty treats cheese, puffed jerky, or dried liver is ideal, I normally use cheese. Get the dog to sit and put a treat on the floor and say “take it” repeat this five times then on the sixth time do exactly the same but this time pretend to put the treat down still saying take it! (The dog will think a treat is there and when it cannot find it will get a feeling of disappointment) as you say the “take it” word and the dogs looks for the treat shake the bottle and throw it next to the dog.

Most dogs will stop or jump back in surprise this is called a startle response. Quickly scoop up the bottle and ignore the dog for several seconds pretending you had nothing to do with bottle or the sound.

Repeat the exercise at least four or five times. You may find that the dog won't go to the food and may back away. If that happens call the dog to you and sympathise and give a treat this will confirm the noise is not pleasant, which is what you want to happen. And that the dog should come back to you for sympathy and comfort.

Repeat this until the dog won't go to the food even when you put it down. When that happens, pick up the food and give it to the dog, praising it. The idea is not to make the dog refuse to eat off the floor, but to provide a focus for the dog during this training period.

Once the dog has learned that the shaker sound means "STOP" you can use it to stop the unwanted behaviour. You need to try to read your dog's body language and to use the shaker BEFORE the dog gets well into the unwanted behaviour. Such as jumping up or In the case of aggression, Either rattle or throw the shaker down as soon as your dog begins to stiffen or tense up, for instance just before cat chasing or interdog aggression. When you use the shaker, and the unwanted behaviour stops, immediately call the dog to you for praise and sympathy

After a while you will only need a slight shake of the can to stop the dog in its tracks. Be sure to work on obedience and basic training and commands this gives the dog an alternate behaviour that you can then reward. On the one hand you are using a correction (the sound) and on the other hand you are substituting a new behaviour. Some dogs are not noise aversive even using this technique if that is the case then alternative measures may be required. You can use training discs made by Mikki in place of the bottle, they are easier to carry but sometimes not so effective.

Stan