Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 10:04 AM

A Few Q's,Raw Liver ?

Hi,
I have a few questions for people that feed liver ?

My Two have quite a varied diet,i do keep a complete food as a staple part of their diet (WAGG and Nature diet) but tend to also feed raw mince,oily fish (sardines,mackeral,pilchards etc) egg,cheese,veg,a bit of garlic and raw bones more often than not,they also have a chicken carcass now and again.
I am happy with what they eat and they are nice and healthy,however I wanted to try adding liver to their feeding regime and bought some at the weekend (Lambs) I got two packs which had about 300g in each,
The only time i ever get it is for liver cake and of course i bake it so giving it to them raw is new to me.
I froze them prior,defrosted one and fed 300g this morning between the two of them for brekkie with a few chunks of cheese in case they weren't too sure..........
Well how wrong could i be they loved it,in fact when i was slicing it i turned round to talk to Harvey and Alfie snuck up and was trying to eat it off the side

So that went down well but i'm sure i read something somewhere about it being harmful if fed too much or too often,and that other livers are more palatable for them ?
So i wondered if anyone could advise me as to how often and how much to feed or anything else that might be useful for me to know ?
Many thanks,
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 10:06 AM
If you feed too much liver you'll know about it the next day, you wont need a bag to pick up after them but a sponge :smt002
Becky
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Ewwwwww Becky,Thanks for the warning
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 10:18 AM
How much a dog can tolerate in one sitting is down to the individual. You may find their stools black and tarry after alot of it.

I can't feed my two a large amount in one go, so they get a little now and again with other raw meat/bones. Archie can get quite loose on it.

I feed my two prey model diet, their overall diet consisits of roughly 10% organs. At least half of this is liver.

HTH
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Mine tolerate raw ox liver well. They have it as their main meal.... about 400g each, once or twice a month.

I have had friend's dogs stay with me that don't tolerate it though
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info guys,
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 11:32 AM
I bought a huge bag of it once and they turned their noses up at it, the only way they will eat it is if its cooked.
This coming from big raw eaters. Tsk!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
I bought a huge bag of it once and they turned their noses up at it, the only way they will eat it is if its cooked.
This coming from big raw eaters. Tsk!
Archie happily eats it raw. Willow doesn't so I chop up frozen bits for her. She loves it like that!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 03:28 PM
mine wont touch it in its raw state either - its one of the very few things they will spit out faster than they catch it!
I either give it semi thawed, or very lightly poached just enough to stop it seeming to have a life of its own
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I feed mine twice a week with liver.Here you can buy 3 pound of liver for £1.99.A pound each for my dogs and a pound for me.Too much liver at once and you'll definately know about it.Mind you i don't eat mine raw.lol
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >