View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 12:23 AM

why are some people so defensive about their dogs??

I was on another site earlier (not about dogs) and someone was saying that there neighbours had been complaining to the council about there dog barking, who is 1 years old. It barks at people coming & going from their block of flats and at any noise it hears.

they wanted to know if it was to late to clicker train their dog…… I just replied saying say that its never late and maybe they could take the dog for longer walks to tire him out and when they leave him alone make sure he has a kong to play with after his long walk so hell be tired & maybe get him a crate as a den. ( I went into more detail then this -you know me! Cant stop writing once I get going!) As he may bark due to being separated from them when his alone.

Well!! She replied having ago at me asking how on earth a dog of 1 years old could ever suffer from separation anxiety?! And that their dog is entirely well cared for and that they give it the best care and they already have a crate thank you very much!!

all i did was answer her question!!

I said that they could suffer from it at all ages…….. And she then replied saying its never ever left alone.

God! Was only trying to flippin help! As the council have now sent letters to them about their dog!

Keep my mouth shut in future!
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Sometimes defenses come up in denial. LOL Sounds like she was more venting about it than actually wanting any help with the situation. Or was looking for a specific answer.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Having a dog that suffers from seperation anxiety from an early age, it can happen at all ages.

Iive found with Luca is that it doesn't matter what you do, she craves for human companionship.

There's no age for SA and I'd of reacted the same way as you I'm afraid. Only patience and time will help this dog overcome his anxiety, if at all.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 07:32 AM
sounds to me like she was wanting you to say it is ok for her dog to bark all the time?? Some ppl dont like criticism or help...!!!! Let her get on with it I say...!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately, it says it all in her response - he is never left alone, that's exactly how SA develops.

I have to say though, I can't judge, I'm highly defensive of my dogs and my attitude with them. In my case it stems mainly from my family putting me down over the way I train them and my ability to handle them.

Try not to let it get to you, she may have lost sleep over this - have had nagging at her, people who aren't so well meaning telling her what to do and you just caught the brunt of it when the elastic finally snapped, so to speak.
I've been there, I've said things I regret when in reality, people were only trying to help.
Some people just react very badly to things getting on top of them and she probably posted it in her hour of despair and since then wishes she hadn't! (I've done that too!)
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Unfortunately, it says it all in her response - he is never left alone, that's exactly how SA develops.
Good points in your post Lottie

I disagree that all SA develops through never being left alone though as some dogs are just prone to it more than others no matter what.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 12:00 PM
flippin 'eck! Don't bother answering any more on there then! You just stick around on here where everyone is nice and pleasant! Gets to you though doesn't it, been there myself in the past!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Weimies are prone to SA and Maddy ALWAYS has to be near you or she is not a happy girlie. And she is 2!

However I am very defensive over my dogs (and cats!) and I get very upset/wound up, if people throw negative comments my way concerning my animals. Maddy usually gets the brunt of the comments with her fear aggression and I usually kick off bigtime and regret it later.

We had letter concerning Maddy's barking from our neighbour (who's actually had complaints about her own dog who barks just as much as Maddy! I think she was trying to cover her own back...).

Anyway, sometimes people would say I should take her out more and she wouldn't get so bored and feel like she has to bark, but they didn't actually ask first how long/often she was walked and just assumed it was insufficient and that is why she was barking. So in that instance I did get very protective as I felt people were questioning my ability to care for my dog properly.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Oh yes - I agree myschevious, I meant that her saying 'he's never left alone' doesn't help her case at all. I understand that no matter what you do dogs can be prone to it, just as some dogs who are never left don't develop it. However - the amount of people who say they can't understand why their dog has SA when it's never left is astonishing! If you never teach a dog that it will be left but you will return, then when you do leave - it has every right to panic!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2007, 02:08 PM
thanks guys! i only answered her question, maybe she wasnt really looking for a answer & just wanted to moan!