Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chriseliz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2007, 07:36 AM

Using Metacam everyday?

Hi All
My lovely lab, Brad, 10 years old on Tuesday, has arthritis, his left front elbow has really degenerated and he has limped on it for years. He has had acupuncture which has helped, and has now been prescribed Metacam. Should I be giving it him everyday for pain relief?? He also has glucosamine etc as supplements. He is not too stiff at the moment - can get up from being laid down quickly and easily (wish I could). He still enjoys his walks over the field, he is off the lead all the time so can go at his own pace (slow), not a blade of grass goes unsniffed. Tho' he can run the length of the field quite quickly if he spots 'the biscuit man' out with his dog! Love and hugs to all dogs and owners who worry so much about them.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Metacam is quite safe to use everyday, just as long as you have regular checks with your vet to make sure he is doing ok on it. Your vet will advise you of when they need to see him again for a check

Use it as your vet advises, if they say everyday then that is fine they won't tell you to do anything that they think would harm your dog. I have to say my experience of Metacam has been fantastic - most dogs do really well on it.

Just one thing to be aware of, Metacam, along with other NSAIDs, does not agree with every single dog. Some may have adverse reactions, so any sign of vomitting/diarhoea, give your vet a call.

Good luck xxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Absolutely ok to use everyday, but as Mummy2Max has said, get regular checks with your vet. My old Shiba, Roxy, is on Metacam - she's 11 1/2 - and has been on it for about a year now. She has to have a blood test prior to getting the next lot when my current bottle runs out. Your vet will advise you on the regularity of these checks.
Roxy is also on Glucosamine and is so much better with this paired with the Metacam.
chriseliz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks!! I've given it him every day for the last 5 days and he seems alot happier today, he wanted to walk further than usual - so just let him wander on until he wanted to turn back. Although it could have been because it wasn't pouring with rain this morning and the sun was actually shining! Both dogs got extremely muddy - but enjoyed the walk.