Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Dog claws......white?

Not really a concern, more something i would like to know. Why do some dogs claws stay white and some turn black? All of Minnies claws are black apart from one. I know its not a health issue as ive seen lots of dogs with some claws still white. Does it mean anything though? Ive always wondered......
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:07 PM
It's just pigment, usually dogs with white or light coloured paws are more likely to have white claws whilst darker skinned dogs have dark claws.
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
It's just pigment, usually dogs with white or light coloured paws are more likely to have white claws whilst darker skinned dogs have dark claws.
Becky
Yep - my English Setter has white claws - he is an Orange Belton - mainly white and my Gordons (black and tan) have dark claws! Would have to say if they had white claws they would look a bit odd - but the white claws much easier to trim as easy to see the quick!
ebrcknrdg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:30 PM
What if your dog has a mixture of black and white claws? Would this just apply to crossbreads?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:31 PM
It's just pigment, so it really depends on the colour of the feet. Pink skin = white claws, dark skin = dark claws. The make up of the dog is irrelevant.
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
What if your dog has a mixture of black and white claws? Would this just apply to crossbreads?
Yes and pure breds that are possibly multi-coloured or black/white?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Light nails are one of the faults listed on the breed standard. You see quite a lot of GSDs with light or white nails.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Gemmas nails are all a light honey colour ,and unfortunatly her quicks go right to the bottom of them ,which means they always look longer than they should be dispite doing a far amount of daily "pavement bashing",i've seen countless vets and all agree as they dont interfer with her walking or cause her any discomfort ,leave them alone .she wouldnt win any prizes but she'd get a gold cup every time from me .
borzoimom
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by ebrcknrdg View Post
Not really a concern, more something i would like to know. Why do some dogs claws stay white and some turn black? All of Minnies claws are black apart from one. I know its not a health issue as ive seen lots of dogs with some claws still white. Does it mean anything though? Ive always wondered......
Galina is the only one with dew claws. Usually take off to make sure they dont snag on something at 3 days old before the pain reflex starts. She is however from the Netherlands- ( she uh spoke dutch when we got her..) One dew claw is white the other one black.. Pigmentation usually means nothing unless its coat collar in certains breeds.
while the dew claws are off the other 3 of mine, their regular nails are either black or white.. And a few of Hotties are honey colored but he is the white one with some brown on him.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 07:34 PM
My Irish Setters seem to have half/half!
I must say I much prefer cutting the white 'ish' ones!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >