Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Have I broken the law?

Okay senario;
I was walking Sal in the park when she saw a squirrell; now she gave chase but only half heartedly as she has never caught one and they nromaly fly up a tree - which I figure she knows now so just runs after them because they run!!! I doubt she'd know what to do it if she caught it. Her food comes out of the cupbaord or fridge
Anyhow I called her back as she was going the opposite way to me. She turned on a wide arch and came back - no fuss.
A man passing said "Its against the law to hunt with a dog" !!!!!!!! PANIC.

I just mumbled something like - "don't be daft, she's just chased a squirrel - shes a dog - they do that!"

Anyhow I walked off so did he. I don't know if he was serious or not, when I got back to the car I did start to wonder if I have broken the law? or is it against the law for dogs not to chase other animals??

Karen
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 02:59 PM
erm, dont know the answer to this one! i shud imagine its against the law to not have control of ur dog if its chasing another animal? but it wasnt as tho u purposely took her out to 'hunt' as the guy put it.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Mmmmm.....not sure Kazz. I hadn't thought about it before but I suppose this is where the hunting with dogs law gets very murky. What is classed as hunting?
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 03:03 PM
a dogs a dog mine chase seagulls on the beach and rabbits in the field so where does the hunting law start I think you would be fine
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I think that is a tricky one. If you were hunting then I guess yes but as you were not I would say no. Although I guess its one of those things how do they prove?

I would tend to think that if police were involved no action would be taken as this can and probably does happen all the time I dont think it would be high on their list of priorities, I am sure the people they would be looking for are more likely out lamping etc. Kip chases squirrels, rabbits, birds all the time when we are in the woods, its just her nature sometimes she catches them sometimes she does not I dont think I am breaking the law as I do not take her out with the intention of hunting its just her nature....
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks all
I have been given this answer/defenition;

According to the DEFRA site :

*The Act makes clear that hunting with dogs includes engaging alone or participating with others in the pursuit of a wild mammal where a dog is used in that pursuit. Hunting should be understood in its ordinary English meaning, which includes searching for wild mammals, chasing them, or pursuing them with the intention of catching or killing them. Hunting is an intentional activity and there can be no such thing as unintentional hunting. Thus, if a dog runs off after a squirrel in the park, the person accompanying the dog would not be guilty of unlawful hunting (unless he or she then used the dog to hunt the squirrel).*

Also the law does not come into force until Midnight 18th Feb.

I just had a vision of being the first the news ie "Stafford fined for hunting" which would be just my luck. Especialy as Sal is always skint and I'd end up paying the fine
ki
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
LOL.
i dont think you should worry (unless you had a sack of dead squirels in your hand!) (did you!!!??!!)

My dogs are always chasing stuff, but will come back when i shout after them. They can only accuse you if they can prove you were hunting (better dump that sack somewhere), i think most people know that dogs chase stuff... next time you see this guy say 'why did you see something you shouldnt have?' or you could plead 'please, please dont tell (get on your knees) i'll do any-thing you want' (and then laugh lots!)

x.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
@Sal

Good to have that cleared up. My Olive's forever chasing bird, has not a chance in hell of catching them though.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

11-02-2005, 03:38 PM
dont give it a second thought
my dogs kill rabbits, rats, foxes anything that gets up in front of them and they can get hold of it they kill it my old collie disappeared into the woods one day when I was walking him and came back with a live fox in his gob
He will chase and grab anything he spots that he thinks he has a chance of catching (except livestock of course he know thats a no-no)
if you live in a built up area you are bound to get do gooders complain if they see your dog chase anything, but if your not out to deliberately hunt you arent doing anything wrong, its not illegal to kill squirrels in england (at the moment) as they are considered vermin anyway
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 03:47 PM
i have been reading.....

apparently its ok to hunt rabbits and squirels with your dog (what are to be considered rodents) (yes squirrel loves, they are just rats with pritty tails)

its not ok to hunt deer, birds... etc etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >