Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 06:03 AM

Developing New Phobias with age

I don't know what to make of Moxie lately. Her noise phobias are just spiraling out of control. Today at work, she absolutley FREAKED out when the someone used the electric stapler, she ran to the reception area and hid under a chair for half an hour (I didn't try to coax her out because I didn't want to reinforce the fear, that and I was busy at the time) She did go back in the office when I made her, but she hid under the desk and shook. When I pulled her out from under the desk she would just circle and look for a corner to sit in and shiver.

She is increasingly anxious when I bring her to work, to the point that I don't want to bring her anymore because I think she's miserable. She won't settle down and go to sleep. She's jumpy, on edge, she whines, she's clingly. She's not a happy puppy. All of this is recent, though. I've been bringing her to work for 8 years and she's never been phased by anything at work.

Tonight at the therapy visit, some of the kids started playing with basketballs and again, Moxie got all weirded out. She used to be bombproof about stuff like that. I don't know whats going on with her lately. I'm completely at a loss. Any advice would be much appreciated. I don't know where my confident happy dog went? She's 9 years old and she just had a full physical exam today, with a clean bill of health.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Muttzrule, I completely sympathise. Fudge is scared of the slightest noise but is getting worse rather than better. the one we discovered these holidays was logs spitting and crackling in a fire. I`ll wait for some replies to see what help is suggested. Fudge sends Moxie a huge hug.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Maybe it's like us, I know I've become very much more emotional as I've got older!
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
I wonder, did they check her hearing when they did the health test? The only thing I can think of is that if her hearing is going a wee bit, she maybe can't work out what some of the noises are that never used to phase her.

In terms of dealing with it, I know you are supposed to ignore the behavior, but I'm not convinced this is always the best approach. Whilst neither of mine shake/hide, they do go scatty with certain things, particularly Hoki.

I've found the best way of dealing with it is to 'laugh' at her - well not so much a "ha ha", but a confident "what's all that about you silly girl" kind of attitude. (its definitely not a 'aww, there, there, poor wee girl' voice/actions. I then get her to focus on me & firmly make her do some obedience/tricks etc - this takes her mind off whatever else is going on.

Not saying this would work for all dogs, but Hoki is definitely better when I'm firm with her and when she sees that I'm taking the mickey out of her being scared.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I think this happens with the nervous types as they get older. I can only speak from experience with Cassie who, as a puppy or youngster, used to sit in the horse's field whilst gunshots were going off all around her and she didn't bat an eyelid. Whereas, as she got older and we had the firework phobia, that then turned into, any loud bangs or noises, crackles from the open fire, even Georgie licking out an empty yoghurt pot would make her go haywire! All I can say is, it just got worse and worse and we did get her eyes and hearing checked out, but that was all fine. Maybe try the things Hali has suggested. Or better still, why don't you get one of those new DAP collars that my vet was raving about, and Georgie now wears PERMANENTLY! Not because he's frightened of anything, but because he's stressed and I think that's why he scratches, and for 6 weeks now I can honestly say I haven't seen him scratch once, he's very calm and a lot more sleepy than usual! My vet said she has had nothing but brilliant results with these for fireworks and suchlike, so maybe give one of those a try??! I'd recommend it anyday, the difference it's made to George anyways. Good luck, I know what a nightmare this can be having had a dog just the same.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I was just thinking the same. could there be a hearing problem with her, exspecially as she has been "bomb proof" for years, it makes you think that something has definately changed. Might be worth checking her at the vets.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks, I will have her hearing tested and see if I can find a DAP collar over here.

It is both good and bad to know I'm not alone with this problem. I hope we can come up with a solution, because I hate for my dog to go through life afraid.