Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 03:21 PM

Do I blab about a bad breeder?

Our new next door neighbours were talking about getting a new puppy, as they lost their bulldog a few months ago.

They said they had seen a sign for Border Terrier puppies on the way to the village and were probably going to have a look.

It didn't occur to me until I was on the way to work this morning and saw the sign, that the person who has these puppies is a bit of a nightmare (a friend went to have a (genuine) look a while back and reported him to the RSPCA)

He breeds from his bitches every year (without a rest) and is known for "throwing out" the bitches that can't cut it.
His puppies have often got fleas and lice etc and are quite interbred.

He's been investigated by the RSPCA a couple of times, but has either not met the criteria for not keeping animals properly, or is promising to clean up and sort himself out.

Our neighbours are new to the area and only know a couple of people. The problem is, I think that whoever they are buying the house off might know the breeder.

Do I tell them that he's quite well known for being a bit of a puppy farm, and risk it getting back to the breeder, and him knowing who I am?

Do I not tell them anything, and hope that they either a) see the pups and don't fancy them or b) get a pup who is hopefully ok?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
definately tell them!!!

so what if it gets back to them, they should know they have a reputation!!!
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Hard one.
I think I'd tell them. I find it a hard to resist a puppy I've just been to look at. Havent yet come away empty handed after just going for a look.
I think they should know before they go, then they'll know what to look out for and be able to make an informed choice. If he is a puppy farm then you should defo telll them to stear clear. I think anyway.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-05-2007, 03:27 PM
I'd warn them... but if your worried about it getting back to them that you have done... then you could try saying it matter of fact .. as if your asking rather than telling...

"Is he a good breeder, don't know much about him but you have to be careful these days with so much puppy farming, we checked out loads of places before we got our dog.... etc..."

Something along those lines might be enough to make your neighbour stop and think ...
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, I think if he is known to the RSPCA, then you have to tell them. They won't thank you if they find out afterwards that you knew and said nothing. I would have no qualms about telling on someone who can treat animals like that. As has already been said puppies are so cute that hearts can be swayed so readily.
If they are new to the area, maybe you could direct them to the border terrier club representative who will have a list of good breeders.
I know this is a hard one- but you don't want them to get a sick pup do you?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I think I would tell them - I would perhaps say to contact breed clubs to check out puppies etc. And that people who advertise using a sign is perhaps not the most reputable breeder? (Mind you that's just my opinion!)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I think I would tell them - I would perhaps say to contact breed clubs to check out puppies etc. And that people who advertise using a sign is perhaps not the most reputable breeder? (Mind you that's just my opinion!)
I'm always suspicious of a breeder who has a sign outside their house!

Plus, this sign is a professionally-made one and is hardly ever put away. I'm sure the friend who went to see them said they had several litters all at different stages

I think I'll broach the subject when I see them again, and make it sound like Ian said.... more of a question...

I'd hate to think that they would buy an unhealthy pup and have to spend so much time/money at the vets...
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Definitely speak to them. As Ian said, pose it as a question.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I think the others have hit the nail on the head, you must tell them, they may never forgive you if they end up with a seriously ill pup, it wil be too late once they have fallen in love with it.

I also agree that anyone that has a sign outside their house advertising pups is possibly not going to one of the breeders that do all the health checks etc., I may be wrong but wouldn't have thought a good breeder would need to advertise in that way.

The breed club idea is an excellent one.

Good luck x
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Yep! i agree they need to know all the facts if they are thinking about buying from this breeder.
I also like Ians's questions idea
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >