Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 01:12 PM

how to go about introducing a new pup

hi guys,as you all know(as i haven't shut up about it) we are getting a 16 wek old STB pup on saturday.
now my 1yr (almost) DDB has been on her own 4 over 6months,shes had rule of the house.
shes very well obedience trained but im abit worried about how to introduce the 2 of them.
trin mite feel abit pushed out but how can i make the 'introduction and exceptance' go smoothly?
im expecting trin to be alittle jealous,its only natural,but the less stressful i can make it the better.
ne suggestions?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Can't offer any useful advice for you,coz I've always just brought a pup home, plonked it down in front of my adult dog, watched the tail language and all has been fine! Hope your little new addition has the same friendly greeting. I'm sure as your existing dog is a bitch things will go well, I'm sure they love puppies, all of mine have All the best, hope you get some good advice.

I did have one bitch that didn't want to know a new puppy, she wouldn't go anywhere near it, or let it sleep with her which it wanted to do, but she soon came round. I know you'll want to give your new baby lots and lots of attention, but you must obviously give your current dog just as much, especially in the hug department!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-03-2007, 01:29 PM
The only advice i can give is always give the older dogs meals first, treats first, put its lead on first to show he his not being pushed out by the pup. Also what we did was if the older dog took a toy off the pup we left it, but we would not let the pup take things off the older dog.

Try and not intervine to much when they are fighting and playing rough, only if you can tell if its getting out of hand, normally if the older one hurts the pup it will yelp and i have found the older one backs off.

Good luck with everything.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi cc22peatree
It is a good idea to introduce the two on neutral territory like the garden . If the puppy is fully inoculated a field or park is a good idea where there will be other distractions so they are not focusing on each other..

Take the new puppy into the house first, let it have a good look around before the older dog is brought in then as much as you can ignore them both unless there is trouble(no word no eye contact but watch discretely ).

Remove all toys/items that could cause a fight.
Try not to give attention to one when the other is around nad give each some 'special time' with you on their own.
Feed them in separate rooms. Gradually they should become useed to each other.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I have to say I've been avoiding replying here because all I do is bring puppy in put on floor and let them get on with it. Haven't had a problem yet!
Becky
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I have to say I've been avoiding replying here because all I do is bring puppy in put on floor and let them get on with it. Haven't had a problem yet!
Becky
that was my original plan
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 03:02 PM
You know your dog so I suggest if she would be OK with just meeting a new pup then go with it, but keep all other ideas and suggestions as back up!
Becky
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Becky
Lol! Same as me then

I agree, if it is an older rescue dog, then yes, you'll have to be a bit more careful, but a tiny little puppy, awwwww, who's gonna hurt that??!!! Even more dog who didn't want to know was very, very aggressive towards other dogs, I could never let her offlead, even SHE took to little Cassie when we brought her home as a pup! You won't have a problem