Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 10:55 PM

Had to rush Hector to the vet..........

.........thought it was bloat again.

thalkfully it wasnt but he does have belly ache and cant settle. Still.

vet has given him a painkiller and a antiemetic (sp?) so i've to watch him all night.

Also he needs tests for digestive disorders cause he's not gaining weight, soft stools, thin coat and he eats poo all the time.

will have them done early next week.

has any one else had a problem with the digestive system??
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
aww im sorry to hear that your babe is not feeling to good i hope his belly ache clears up real soon,my one boy shiloh has a digestive problem he can only have certain foods with is gluten tolerance free and the only real food that hes doing well on at the mo is buchers tripe and chicken and he also has a special milk feed now
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2007, 11:07 PM
sorry to hear h isn't well julie.
how long as he not been right with eating etc?
i thought after the bloat he was eating well and gaining weight on the chappie.
i would also ask what the chances are of it being overactive thyroids as it is opposite to toby and i understand they loss weight not gain.
it would affect his coat but they say eating poo is a sign of some thing lacking in the diet, dunno if its true.
so if theres no blockages etc it has to be with the way hes obsorbing the nutriens or converting them.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2007, 11:10 PM
I am glad it was not bloat. The not gaining weight, thin coat and he eats poo all the time, is what is happening to Star at the minute, the vet has said this is down to a side effect of the steroids he is on.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 11:39 PM
EPI was mentioned.

He did gain a bit of weight on chappie at first but now that has dropped. this has been ongoing for about a year, always been fussy and this might be what is needed now just to find out and get him sorted.

He's 45kgs and 31'' to the shoulder.

the vet did say if it is EPI it would explain the bloat without the torsion as his body is not processing the nutrients in the food and this causes the gas, he has been very windy this week, hence the belly ache now.
he has settled at the mo so i think the pain killers have kicked in.

the vet is going to test for thyroid as well as everything else.
God this is going to cost. insurance will love me!!!!

Was going to have bonnie spayed this week but that will now go on hold. Hectors more urgent.

This must be sick leonberger year!!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
dont even go there ..........
tobs cost about 1000 upto now and still not sorted.
hols fine.............fingers x'd.
45 kg is smaller than hol and 31".........
leospride has a girl maddie who has epi, ask her how maddie was at the start.
also helena has cassie with epi, does sound simliar though.
hols being done in june only 250 quid.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 12:01 AM
thank god for insurance!!!

oh well when i do get the bill we can cry together LOL!!

bonnie's spay is free (rescue pup) but i cant cope with 2 poorly dogs at the same time thats why she might be put on hold for a week or 2.

at least he sleeping now so must feel more comfy, phew was i scared.
shock just setting in now i keep going cold. i need a shower to warm me up.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Oh gosh I'm really sorry to hear Hectors' not well
Don't know if its EPI as don't know enough about him but maddie started off with runny poo's, sometimes bloody, bad rumbling tummy, wind, and one heck of a weight loss also scavenging because she just couldn't get enough to eat, it's like they could eat all day but starve to death! if you know what I mean? And her coat got thinner It took them 6 months to diagnose epi, a simple TLI test will tell you whether he has or hasn't, worth doing do you think?

Fingers crossed for him xx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 12:43 AM
healing thoughts from us all ..xxx
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2007, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by leospride View Post
Oh gosh I'm really sorry to hear Hectors' not well
Don't know if its EPI as don't know enough about him but maddie started off with runny poo's, sometimes bloody, bad rumbling tummy, wind, and one heck of a weight loss also scavenging because she just couldn't get enough to eat, it's like they could eat all day but starve to death! if you know what I mean? And her coat got thinner It took them 6 months to diagnose epi, a simple TLI test will tell you whether he has or hasn't, worth doing do you think?

Fingers crossed for him xx
sounds like Hector. he had runny poo's with blood at xmas, but now he's soft and plenty, and his tum makes really loud noises and he's extremely windy.

he's nearly 3 yrs,45kgs and 31'' you can feel his spine all the way through to his tail, his coat is thin but shiny, eats poo like its best steak.

i've asked for a while for him to be tested and this vet, who i've never seen before at my practice, seems to think he has epi and will do the tests next week.

poor baby, i just want him well. worried me sick tonight and i'm sleeping on the sofa with him, just in case he needs me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >