Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-02-2007, 12:55 PM

Had enough!

Well, I had an unfortunate incident on our morning walk today. I suppose it could have been avoided if I'd have been paying a little more attention, but none the less....

There is a guy who regularly walks round a similar route to us who has a Mini Pin female un-neutered. The first few times we met, her and Jake played nicely and said fella and me chatted amiably. However, after a few meetings, his attitude to Jake and myself seemed to change. He seemed paranoid that as Jake was un-neutered too, he was going to ravish his little beloved at the slightest opportunity, and never tired of telling me how valuable his precious is and I should get Jake 'done'. (Takes two to tango, pal, especially as his little darling is an outrageous flirt!)

Anyway, we saw them in the distance today but Jake recalled OK after a little indication that he wanted to go see. But, on the way back home, he caught a scent. He went to investigate, somewhat outside of my usual comfort range, so I was going to put him on the lead when he got back. He returned OK, but shot off in another direction before I could get him. The field we were in has some hollow dips, which I couldn't see into, but once I did get into sight, there was the Mini Pinscher and Jake running around at mach 3. I went over with a view to catching Jake, apologising and moving on, on the lead and with Jake severely chastised. However, as I approached, the other owner started effing at us. Well, game on. I flipped into incoherent tirade mode as I was already fed up with his hypocracy and arrogance regarding the telling me to get Jake neutered but he couldn't be bothered. (BTW, I assume she was in season, given Jake's ability to get a scent. WTF was he thinking taking her out off lead in season?) On top of that, the effing was too much. Without going into detail, I advised him I would not be getting Jake 'done' for his benefit (B*****ks to that, I think were my exact words. Quite droll really...) and he'd better not even think of touching Jake. Problem is, one of the other regulars was with him. I now probably have a bit of a psycho reputation...

I of course will attempt to apologise for my outburst when I see either of them, but will point out that I think it's unfair that Jake and myself seem to be the ones taking all the blame for something that hasn't even happened!

On the plus side, I didn't half get through the ironing quick when I got home. Nothing like a good head of rage to get you going!
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 01:03 PM
omg, it's a nightmare when this stuff happens, we have had a few run ins recently and it gets no better each time. I don't blame you for getting mad. I know nobody has any more right than the next person to have their dog off lead but, if his bitch is in season he should have enough sense to keep her on lead, DUH!!
Take care
x
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 01:08 PM
How appauling, it was definetely the blokes fault, he should not have let his girl off lead if he knew she was coming into season! heck Roxy rarely went out when she was in season let alone off lead!!!

I hope he either apologises to you or you can sort something out with the other owners. This isn't your problem. But on the brightside, least the ironing got done
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 02:12 PM
I have two unspayed girlies (who are yet to have their first season) and when they're in season I certainly won't be letting them off the lead!!! Its not fair on the lads....they can't help it!!!!

I think you were well within your rights to say what you did - I would have done the same!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Think I'd have reacted in the exact same way... except the ironing maybe
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Aww rich, sound like another case of dog walkers who know best! A bitch in season off lead would send me over the top with rage, its so silly and i also dont believe walking a bitch in season in public areas is wise because it send the dogs off with that scent!
Hope you are well rich
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 02:34 PM
I agree, when the girls are in season I'll be taking them out to the sticks up in the fields by the stables!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2007, 02:47 PM
It would be daft for us to get Snorri-dog "properly" mated, as he has a jaw defect as well as epilepsy, and neither of these would assist any puppies to get new homes, so he's kept well under control on a leash whenever he is out of the garden. However, if some prat lets his/her in-heat bitch out, uncontrolled, then (I tell Snorri ), she's fair game! However, he's so scared of other dogs that even the temptation of a free bonk would stop him from running away! I reckon that the "local tarts" are safe enough!

Snorri
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks all!

I'm sure it's because this particular doggy is such a flirt, encouraging Jake to chase her when they meet. We met a lady yesterday who's Lab was in season. She saw us coming and headed over to the other side of the stream near us, so no real protection there then, but had her girl on a lead and let me know she was in season so I could get Jake moving before he realised what was going on.

He's not a bad lad, just let his nose get away with him, really. In hindsight, he wasn't as interested as normal in playing with his ball so maybe we need to take that as a warning sign that there are 'interesting' smells around...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 03:25 PM
my bitch is in season at the moment, its not really fair to walk a bitch in area's where your going to meet other dogs, even worse to let her off lead, kinda asking for trouble well more like begging for trouble, not just could she be caught, but if more than one dog turns up, you could have a huge fight which the bitch owner is responsible for, sounds like a right silly sod if you ask me, hope a wee mongrel nabs her lol, that would teach him,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >