Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 08:55 AM

Thinking of a career change

After being so ill & staying at home, it gives you time to think about your life. I think also because i have had a scare, its made me appreciate life more.
I work for a photography business. Its slowly going down the pan due to everything going digital. Theres lots of shops shutting down. Also they have been very quiet at work.
After working with horses for 17 years, still do on Sundays, i am missing that job satisfaction. I worked at C&G processing mortgages...... loved that job, but they made us redundant as our job went offshore.
I'm thinking of either being a post lady, early start, early finish FRESH AIR!!!! OR
Nursing at a rehab hospital. They will also pay for my NCQ's. I don't enjoy office work anymore. It makes me feel like a caged animal.
Am i having a middle aged crisis at 34?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I think you should go for what you really want to do. I'm 38 and I still can't work out what it is I want, well I know it has to be dogs though lol!
Becky
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jules1 View Post
Am i having a middle aged crisis at 34?
Not at all!

I am also at a similar point in my life at 30. I work for my dad as a secretary. He is a retired Orthopaedic Surgeon who does medical reports for people injured in car accidents and at work etc. He's planning to retire in the next 12 months or so so then I have to decide what to do next . It's been good working with family and Max comes with me which is great but I know this must be my last office job! Like you I am feeling caged sat at a desk most of the day.

I think the problem is that I just drifted from school to an office job as an admin assistant and then I started working as an exhibition organiser at a place I used to work at on Saturdays and now I work for my dad. I just applied for my first job as I needed to earn some money and years later I still do not know what it is I want to do.

I think a lot of people when they have time away from their job over holidays and when you have been away poorly start to think about what it is they are doing.

You say that you really enjoy working with horses - is that not something you would consider changing to?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
I`m also having a break from th normal job due to healthissues.I normally do supply teaching but at the moment am not missing it. I am volunteering at The dogs trust as from next week. It will be good to see how another work environment functions. I have only ever worked with children.maybe it is time for a change...
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 01:35 PM
why dont you work with horses??

its outside - sometimes you cant take your dog to work with you??
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
why dont you work with horses??

its outside - sometimes you cant take your dog to work with you??
Cos theres NO money in it!!!! LOL
I teach on Sundays 9.30am - 1pm group lessons & 1-1.30pm a private lesson
Then on the next sunday of the month i have my own jumping lesson. Teaching day in day out does your head in. Theres only so many times i can say heels down
BRrrrrrrr standing out in the out door arena in the dark, cild windy nights....... NO thanks. My hearts not in it to work with them full time. Don't fancy arguing with big horses anymore.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 09:18 PM
there is money in freelance teaching

cold i know in winter but id much prefer that personally to aan office job
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
there is money in freelance teaching

cold i know in winter but id much prefer that personally to aan office job
I used to do freelance. The insurance is really high these days. Its not a guaranteed wage. Its a lot of traveling & by the time you have taught, stood about for a chat its a lot of time used.
I really haven't got the heart in it any more. I 'LOVE' my dogs, i like horses!
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Like Majuka I kind of just drifted into admin work from school and have basically done that ever since, but I agree with Becky (mahooli) I'm 37 and still don't know what I want either!

I recently switched totally and started doing sales which I had always been loathe to do even though I had been told several times I would be good at it, but I didn't like the idea of the whole sales thing, I don't like to push anyone to buy anything they don't really want! The difference with this job is that they make contact first and ask to be contacted, some buy and some don't no problem no hard sell at all which suits me fine. Plus I get to work from home, for a very lovely boss, still earn a decent wage and get to spend all day with my dog I love it, can work with no make up on whilst wearing my furry slippers!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 01:07 PM
ive no chance of knowing what i wanna do then have i?!!

what about going back to college and doing something like dog grooming or something like that??

im at college atm doing a national diploma in animal management - for me personally id wished id have done the equine studies one.

other than that i have no ideas - i dunno what i wanna do so really i cant help u lol!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >