Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2007, 03:23 PM

Just Curious - Leaning Dog

As the title suggests, I am just curious if anybody else has come across this.

My NI X GSD bitch is 22 months old and has the weird habit of leaning. It doesn't matter where she is, in the kitchen, doorway etc she will stand and lean. She uses cupboards, door jams or legs, whatever is convenient really, she very rarely sits

She is healthy (vet checked) and is not tired or lethargic (has 2 hours of exercise a day) and will lean at any time of the day.

I'm not concerned, just don't know why she does this. Her brother never leans nor do my other 2. Weird huh?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Max leans all the time, preferably against people. He will be standing, and then gradually press up against you (or the cupboard/sofa/babygate) until most of his weight is on you.

Generally after this, he eventually slides to the floor and lays down (or rolls over for a tummy tickle)

I don't think there's anything wrong if the vet has seen her, maybe she just liked the pressure of being leant on something?
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2007, 03:37 PM
It's really strange isn't it? Meeka doesn't lay down, just leans for up to 10-15 mins, she reminds me of a slovenly teenager leaning against the wall

She hates to sit at training classes and, to be honest, I've very rarely seen her sit, it's stand or lay down but there is nothing wrong with her joints or back end - just strange
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Max can sit, but prefers lying down, and often at training class will lie down on command, but will roll over so he is laid on his side and looks like he is going to sleep!

Not a typical Boxer really!

Maybe Meeka is having a "teenage" stage, where instead of being badly behaved, she is just lazy!?!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I wouldnt worry at all ! My flattie is a terrible leaner and it's something that some dogs do !
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 03:47 PM
My NI Freya leans... she slides down things and sometimes hits the floor with a bump.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 04:18 PM
My Terv leans against a certain part of the wall in our hallway, she can lean there and watch us in the kitchen

Some breeds lean - Dobes are one that spring to mind. When I worked in boarding kennels, I had a big softie boy that wanted love 'n' cuddles, and he always used to ask by leaning on my leg...aw...:smt001

Wys
x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 04:24 PM
When I went to Crufts one year and saw the Danes they all leaned on me lol!
Becky
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

25-01-2007, 04:28 PM
My Borzois lean on me and anyone else they meet all the time. They don't however lean on walls, just against humans. Most borzois I have come in contact with have this leaning habit.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Sydney loves to lean on us - not against anything cold or hard, just right up against us when we are standing, sitting or whenever really. She just likes the physical contact I am sure.
I love it when she does it!