Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 05:55 PM

Pet Behaviour tv programmes - concern

Just found this press release whilst on the APBC site.

Thought I'd give the link here as I think Dogsey is one of the places they are most discussed!

The info is from the point of view of highly respected professional pet behaviour counsellors who in my view make some good points.

http://www.apbc.org.uk/news_items/tv_behaviour.htm
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Are they talking about the episode with the Old English Sheepdogs ?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi Tink, I think they are speaking generally but to start with are referring to the episode with the spaniel who was eventually put to sleep (related in part to it biting a child in the family).
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Oh i didn't see that episode i'm afraid,so on that particular one i cannot comment,This weeks was the OES,
Whilst there are some good methods used on these programmes there are also ones used that are disagreeable.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Yes, I must say that while I enjoy watchig the programmes, I often worry that people will try to copy the methods, for the right reasons, but perhaps not for the long-term good.

Before I joined Dogsey, I didn't realise how much I didn't know about dogs. And I'm learning all the time. Even with house-training, I've needed advice as it was not going too successfully at first (better now though following advice )

I also thought that they gave up on the Cocker too early. if I hadn't controlled her, Daisy would have gone for children (it nearly happened once but I made sure after that that she had no contact with them at all). She was not suitable as a big family pet but a very loving companion to me.

I also don't like the way they sensationalise the problems, it makes the issues seem comical at times, when of course they aren't. That's TV though.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-11-2006, 07:57 PM
It's my view that sometimes the trainers/behaviourists get the criticism when, really, it's the much-edited programme at fault.

I know that much much more goes into the dogs (and the owners) than is shown on the programme. The trainers and behaviourists have little or no say on the final edited version that we see on the screens.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
It's my view that sometimes the trainers/behaviourists get the criticism when, really, it's the much-edited programme at fault.

I know that much much more goes into the dogs (and the owners) than is shown on the programme. The trainers and behaviourists have little or no say on the final edited version that we see on the screens.
I agree greatly with that after a television piece was made using my two miniature shetlands, showing some tantrums and healing methods. We was told what to say (although refused extreme bits) and the vet and Shiatsu lady didn't do proper checks only bits for the filming and the bits of them so called fixed were actually filmed before they were checked etc and the bits of them being naughty were filmed a week later.
What you see on tele is not actually in the order it happens and it is heavily edited to get what the producers want in the way they want it.
I do feel that a warning should come up on all these shows saying that people should NOT try what they have seen at home because not all has been shown and they should seek the help of a qualified behavourist to help if they have similar problems.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I would wholeheartedly agree with the statement that the APBC have put out.

If it is the case that there was much more happening behind the scenes, then it's time that the trainers involved in such shows demanded full editorial rights.

Showing a dog being 'given up on' and advice being given not to rehome when, from what was shown, it appeared the dog had a problem with one girl in the family it lived with could cost a whole lot more dogs to be pts when there are other options.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
If it is the case that there was much more happening behind the scenes, then it's time that the trainers involved in such shows demanded full editorial rights.
Even Hollywood actoers don't get that luxury so I'm pretty sure that dog trainers never will either.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 01:51 AM
If they insist, they can and often do get the final say on what can be shown
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >