Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:08 PM

Dog themed books- your favs...

The book that changed my life regards how I cope with the feelings I have about my pup Minnie was written by a US jounalist called Caroline Knapp- the book is entitled "Pack of Two". She relates the story of how she got Lucille- her shepherd cross and of all the stuff that came with being a single dog- mom- like me. Very sad that she died at the age of 42 in 2002 from lung cancer....Its a wonderful true account of the first 3 years with her dog
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:19 PM
i cant think of any books that changed my life but my favourite books are dont shot the dog,any ian dunbar books and perfect puppy also i have some great videos by ian dunbar and peter neville
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I enjoyed Plague Dogs by Richard Adams - made me cry:

Also enjoyed all the Lassie films and The Incredible Journey.

Loved A Dog Named Fluke (James Herbert) and also enjoyed The Last Family In England (Matt Haig).

But Greyfriars Bobby was the biggest tear jerker for me and a HUGE demonstration of a dog's loyalty.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I enjoyed Plague Dogs by Richard Adams - made me cry:

Also enjoyed all the Lassie films and The Incredible Journey.

Loved A Dog Named Fluke (James Herbert)
I love all these too.

Any Joyce Stranger books are good - especially the ones written about her own dogs.

Frank London wrote a couple of good dog books "Jack" about a Belgian Shepherd and "The Lurcher" about, well, a lurcher

My FAV book of all time though has to be "Moobli" by Mike Tomkies. It is an AMAZING true story of one man and his German Shepherd dog, living in a remote cottage in the Highlands of Scotland without electricity, running water or neighbours for miles. Mike trains Moobli to track wildlife for him to photograph and relates the life of himself and his dog from puppyhood to death. It is a brilliant read - and is a real tearjerker I would recommend it to anyone who is a dog or nature lover.

I was lucky enough to meet the man himself (now in his late 70s) earlier this year
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I love all these too.

Any Joyce Stranger books are good - especially the ones written about her own dogs.

Frank London wrote a couple of good dog books "Jack" about a Belgian Shepherd and "The Lurcher" about, well, a lurcher

My FAV book of all time though has to be "Moobli" by Mike Tomkies. It is an AMAZING true story of one man and his German Shepherd dog, living in a remote cottage in the Highlands of Scotland without electricity, running water or neighbours for miles. Mike trains Moobli to track wildlife for him to photograph and relates the life of himself and his dog from puppyhood to death. It is a brilliant read - and is a real tearjerker I would recommend it to anyone who is a dog or nature lover.

I was lucky enough to meet the man himself (now in his late 70s) earlier this year
As above! Thanks saved me from writing that!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 09:23 PM
My favourite dog book is "The Afghan Hound a Definitive Study" by Margaret Niblock.

I'm not a hound person at all but I do collect dog books so snapped up this one 2nd hand and it's truly a superb book for anyone interested in breed history, breeding systems and much more.

I really regret trading it in part ex for a genetics book I badly wanted, when I was a bit cash strapped (still am!).

Just got to mention the worst canine book I ever got. I had been hinting I wanted "The Loop" by Nicholas Evans and my daughter got it for my birthday some years ago.

I read as far as the chapter where you find out what the "loop" actually is. Sorry I can't relate it here, it still haunts me. I felt cheated and violated, I thought "loop" was just an inocent play on words (the book is about wolves - lupus).

I could read no further. The book still sits on my book shelf haunting me.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Oh hell - I've got The Loop and have never gotten around to reading it. Perhaps I shouldn't.....
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh hell - I've got The Loop and have never gotten around to reading it. Perhaps I shouldn't.....
It's probably not nearly as bad as I'm making out and I'd probably be saying what a good book it is, had I the courage to read right through.

It's just that I've gone really soft over the last few years....can't even bring myself to read the "gone but not forgotten forum"...don't know what's happening to me, used to work in rescue!

Anyway you should read some reviews, don't just take my word for it
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I called in to my local Oxfam shop this morning and picked up"Obedient Dogs" by John Holmes- written in 1954- for 79 pencejust out of curiousity..... I was horrified at the training methods- lots of good stuff like reward based training but punishments like picking a dog up and SHAKING it- flippin heck if that was a child you would be behind bars for recommending that Havent things changed ?!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
It's just that I've gone really soft over the last few years....can't even bring myself to read the "gone but not forgotten forum"...don't know what's happening to me, used to work in rescue!
Well, whatever it is that's gotten to you, it's also gotten to me - I seem to cry at the drop of a hat lately.....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >