Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 06:11 PM

How do you replace a dog ????

Minnie is my first dog ever. Shes a gift from heaven- unplanned; she's a one-off I know many members on this site have had many dogs. My questions are : if you have a very special first dog from a tiny pup and that dog means the world to you- as mine does- what do you do if that dog dies ? How can you possibly compare any new /future dogs- or can you ? Ive thought about this a lot- would I get another pup, maybe try a rescue, could I ever get another JR or maybe try another breed ??
All I know is that I couldn't exist without a dog in my life- mine is fit and healthy and only 3 so I hope to have many happy doggy years ahead with her but I do wonder about any dogs after her....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2006, 06:20 PM
The thing is you don't replace them, there is space in my heart for all of them and they have all been special in their own way. To never have another would be unthinkable
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't think you replace them they are all different and you just Love them for being them.
I never thought I would Love a Dog as much as Topsey she was brought for me on my 8th Birthday and Died when I was 24

But have to say I Love all my Dogs, since her the same way
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I had this experience this year. Daisy left after 14 years from being a pup, then 3 months later Poppy died. They were my first dogs and so special to me.

Willow has not replaced either of them and she is not like either of them. They both have a special place in my heart and always will do, I think about them every day loads of times.

It is dreadful to lose them, the pain is very raw however it does ease in time.
Nikki_and_Brodi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2006, 06:27 PM
I've just got my first dog (got him in Feb) and he is the light in my life to be honest! Its been so much hard work training him, but i couldn't think of life without him now! I know the day will come when i have to end his life and i hope i make the right choice when that comes

I've never lost a dog - i remember my Grans dog getting put down in 2001 aged 18 but thats about it! But i've had horses all my life and i remember the day my first horse got put down! I was a wreck and everytime i thought of him i just saw him getting put down, then i got Murphy! He took the pain away and when i think back about Gigilo now i just remember the happy times.

I can never replace any of the animals i've had but i've been lucky that i've got others that have taken the pain away!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I understand fully where you are coming from and was there last December after loosing my first and it will be his 1st anniversary at the bridge December.

I never thought I would recover from that terribly raw feeling after he went, but I now have another "2" very special boys. I am just so happy to have all those special memories.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
I make it easier by always having 2!
I had my first JRT at 15, then when she was 3 I got another one, who lived until she was 15.

I couldn't replace them or compare, they're all different in their special ways, but when you get a new one it brings back happy memories of the ones who are no longer with us. It also helps that I know any dog coming to live with us will have everything they need, be a proper member of the family.

I had a few dogless years but ended up with 2 dogs again both arriving on the same day unbeknown to us all! (long story) ...... and no matter how/what/why you think you'll get another one, ie rescue or a different breed, I am a big believer in fate, that the dog will find you.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I am lucky in a way, I have always had multiple dogs. I had 10 at one point, most elderly, some were old dogs when I got them, I am now down to 4. However, it doesn't make it any easier when you lose a beloved friend. I love all of my dogs dearly, and my favourite is the one who is on my knee at any given time!!! I don't think you can replace a lost pet, though some people do try and that can often be a mistake as the 'replacement' has a lot to live up to. Quite often bereaved owners forget how much hard work their lost friend was when in it's puppy days. I think that sometimes you are as well to get your second dog before the loss of the first, at least then you don't have to feel disloyal to your lost pet. This often the feeling that often sadly delays the bonding between new dog and owner. We often have to re-home dogs that do not match up to their predecessors, which is a great shame.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-11-2006, 06:47 PM
You never replace them because they all have their own unique personalities-even if you stick with the same breed.I think that if you give them the best years of your life,it makes their yours and their existence all the more worthwhile.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I know what you mean, zetacharlie, because I feel the same way about Takara!! She's my first dog and nobody could live up to her, but, judging on other people's experiences, I think it must just be that you learn to live with the death of your loved one, and another dog just helps you to do that.

It's like people, when you lose a loved one, you don't replace them but learn to live without them there everyday.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >