View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 04:10 PM

Experience with Clicker training a horse?

As title says.

i have clicker trained my dogs for a number of years and am now thinking about clicker training mah hoss! There are lots of good websites, have done alot of reading, but wondering if any hossy people have any experience of this?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 04:20 PM
yep I clicker trained montana cause he is a greedy sod and they pick it up quick, that said it helps if the horse knows voice comands already. I taught him to lift each foot with a clicker back and front. Just need a diff comand for each leg and im training him to go to a mark on command, its just the very same principle as with a dog. let me know how it goes, what were you thinking of starting with, ??
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 04:31 PM
He knows commands already.
He was 'too much' horse for this dog trainer! I have had him a year now, and have gone through alot with him... He was schooled and schooled, and I just want a (pretty) hack. He is not great on the roads, I was hoping to shape some calming behaviours. I am going to start out with a stand and then a head lower and then a back up. I think it will help build a bond between us. People can make him do lovely dressage things he is 'supposed' to do, but I can't push him that much. I am still getting over my fear of his hugeness. I had a bad fall that shook me a bit, nothing broken, just my confidence. Anyway he bosses me around a bit, although I have come along way this summer.
The people in my yard are a little old fashioned, and tell me not to feed him by hand, as he will start to bit. Obviously I need to when clicking, and it is not so easy to hide.... he has never bitten anyone, and I tell him off for trying to rob me, I have to bring it to his mouth.
I understand alot behind canine training, horse training is ever so slightly different! Not helped by the fact everyone at the yard has to have there say at the 'newbie' (they have all had horses from birth practically!!)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2006, 04:43 PM
awe all yards are like that full of flippin experts, I am lucky to keep my lot at my mates farm, how big is he? ,monty is 17.2hh and he belongs to my mate the one that owns the farm, he got a bit bossy with me and hence the clicker work it taught him to be more respectful and that patience will be rewarded quicker that mugging, im only 5'4" so he is a big lad for me to ride i normaly stick at 16.2hh time will help with your confidence and imo the big horses are not so quick to ditch you as the bloody ponies, try a bit of loose training in the menage to start with click treat click treat as with a dog then mold it to what you want could be following you in a relaxed manner to start with like monty robert sort of thing then turn and walk into him as soon as he steps back click treat after a few times put the comand to it and cut the walking into down untill he just does it on comand hope this helps his head will come down when he is relaxed about the new training, if i can help anymore just ask ps he is your horse and you know him best not all the yard monkeys they will just confuse you do what feels good and right for you
X shona X
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 10:24 AM
thanks shona, useful advice.
Yes I try to take what they say with a pinch of salt, as everyone says something different. You're right, every person and animal is different, so you have to do what feels right to you. I am in no rush either, I have had him a year already and am progressing steadily.
I only started riding a few years ago, and got bored with the riding school ponies. Such a big jump up though, getting my own horse. I took too much on, but it has worked out, I suspect because people kept telling me it wouldn't and they had seen it all before, made me determind!!!
I am lacking the experience of falling off and having to get back on, it's more difficult as an adult I think, a knock really blew me, whereas for a person who had done it a long time, they would have shrugged the same fall off. He is a 16.2 Belgian warmblood, well bred, I am always getting comments about him. Unfortunately some of those comments include me 'wasting' him as a hacking horse as he should be doing dressage or xcountry as he will jump. I am quite happy jumping little things, but no way big huge jumps! I guess it is a waste, but I love him and he is in a safe place, surely that is all he cares about! He hasn't got a bad bone in his body, just not done or seen alot outside schooling and dressage, so he is nervy, but doesn't run off just spins round so he can't see the danger (dumbass). I will continue with the clicker and let you know how we get on. I have done join-up without the clicker, although his attention is not always on me... need to work on that!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 03:49 PM
awe the rotten sods saying your waisting him, My best mate worked for the g........... and there horses are ridden by top show jumpers and you know what there on bute every day to achieve this life and they bloody hate it to boot. bet they would love a nice hack with no pressure to go higher or faster. if you love him and he must love you as your still alive lol then where can that be a waist, they are prob just a bit green about him and to be honest if they got there hands on him would prob ruin him, after owning horses for years i have seen it all and would hate to be on a yard for the very reasons you mention, they are all nuts and wana out do each other, put it this way I let the best pup in my litter go to a friend and although she will be shown folk have said it was a waist me letting her go, but she will be loved for life and have a good life at that I see her all the time. she is sat next to me right now while her new dad is sortin me car lol
you stick in there gall and hack away do not be pushed into jumping high or anything your not happy with as a sore fall could be very bad for you and your horse at the moment and thats what yard monkeys do to you, then offer to buy your (unsafe as your now scared to get back on) horse for pennys
you see where its going eh. keep me up to date please oh and you should post a pic so we can droooollll over him lol
shona
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 03:58 PM
ok but then you have to show me yours!

Just after I first got him...

this summer...look how fat he got!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 04:00 PM
and looking somewhat relaxed *hm*

He looks much better all kitted up and gathered into a nice trot not got one here though...
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post

Just after I first got him...

this summer...look how fat he got!

He obviously likes his food then

He's beautiful I'd be interested in how you get on with the clicker training. My sister has a 6 y/o, green broke, Mustang mare in at the moment. She's a madame to say the least I would of loved to of been able to bring her over here, but I don't think the distance would be fair on her

Is the paint yours too?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Your so lucky he is sooooo handsome,
you enjoy every min of that stunner, have posted a photo of my first horse I got him when I was 14 years old and he was a very green 3yr old newly backed tb x ? its all so easy at that age I know what you mean about age changing the way you feel about risk and injury. will find some and post them of the otheres I have had and the police horses I have been lucky enough to ride. X shona X