Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2006, 08:33 AM

Saving used stamps for charity?

Hiya,
I was told that charities can make money from used stamps, how does this work? And does anyone know how much money they can make from them?!
I have been getting people at work to save all the used stamps we get and now have hundreds but not sure where to send them to?
Cheers,
Katie
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi Katie,

I've always saved used postage stamps since I was a child.
I give them to the guide dogs for the blind.

They sell them to stamp collectors from abroad.

There was a time, years ago I believe, that the charities were able re-sell them to the post office, who "washed off" the franking marks and in turn re-sold them to the public, but there was a huge scam uncovered (I'm going back about 20-30 years) whereby unscrupulous people were getting hold of the stamps and "washing" them for their own profits.

So, excuse the pun, but they "stamped that out" and now, as I say, they sell to collectors from abroad.

Kind regards

Jill
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Hearing Dogs for Deaf People also take them
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Cool theres a Guide dogs fundraising centre in Sheffield I can drop them round... just been on the website and apparently 1 kilo of stamps raises enough to feed a puppy for a day - isn't that less than 50p or something?!
Maybe its not worth the bother in future? Would be better just to donate some money!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 12:57 PM
most supermarkets have bins where you can put your used stamps in and it does say which chariety there going to on the bins
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I think as Radar ears says they go to stamp collectors abroad. You need to leave a nice margin around the stamp when you take them off the envelope.
I give mine to the local animal shelter, and as already mentioned the guide dogs for the blind use them as well as the Life boat and other charities.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I send mine to a friend who donates them to guide dogs for the blind. it might not raise a lot of money, but every little helps Better than throwing them in the bin anyway