View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Dog food list and prices- Decided to change.

Well I've decided to change the dog food I'm using. im currently using Burns, and although shadow does ok on it, bandit doesnt seem to, his skin isnt good and his stools are very loose. I searched on here to see what different foods everyone tries, and checked out the following:
  • James Wellbeloved £36.99 for 15kgs
  • Pascoes £14.59 for 15kgs (only 4% meat thou)
  • Arden Grange £27.99 for 15kgs
  • Royal Canin couldnt find a price
  • Autarky £15.00 for 15kgs
  • CSJ £8 for the "Champ" 15kgs
  • Trophy £20.50 for 15kgs

these are just the prices I found from various websites. From what I could see most of these foods were pretty good, averaging 20% meat. I was REALLY suprised at CSJ, its only £8.00 a bag, and contains 27% meat, and has had GLOWING praise, I'm not sure what its going to be like, but the ingredients list impressed me, and so did the price. I will let you know how my two get on with it when it arrives.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-09-2006, 08:02 PM
What I found out with some of the cheaper brands was that I had to feed double the amount so in the end it was not much cheaper.

CSJ (sensitive version) looks really good but as it contains corn I cant use it for Finn otherwise it would be one of my first choices.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
I feed CSJ Champ, and a 15kg bag lasts around 3 to 4 weeks for my Bullmastiff.
Not too bad I don't think!
But it's cheaper to order 2, as the postage is the same as ordering 1!
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
I feed CSJ Champ, and a 15kg bag lasts around 3 to 4 weeks for my Bullmastiff.
Not too bad I don't think!
But it's cheaper to order 2, as the postage is the same as ordering 1!
yeah i noticed that with the postage, but havent tried my two on it yet, so only ordered one. if they like it i'll get at least two next time!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I am surprised that people are surprised about 20% being good. That means the rest (80%) -so most- of the dogs diet is just filler (peanut hulls, indigestible bits of grains etc).

Does anyone just feed dry and absolutely nothing else? I have two dogs staying with me at the moment, I have been given instructions to feed them the 'chum' (their dry 'complete' (huh) range) and nothing else. They don't eat their food with gusto, and look at my lot eating their patties and bones and won't eat theirs, so i have to feed them separately. It breaks my heart, it just doesn't feel right to give an animal this an nothing else (I keep sneaking them bits of mince, as it won't do them any harm). The chum has only 4%, and it is 'derived' from, basically means <i>once was</i> meat. sucks.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2006, 09:35 AM
have u tried natures menu.
it does work out a bit expensive, but because the ingredients are good quality, you wouldnt have to feed as much, so probably doesnt work out as expensive than u would think.

the ingredients on this chicken one i have in front of me are:

chicken min 61%, peas min 4%, carrots min 4%, rice min 6%, vitamin A, vitamin D3, Tocopherol.

I think natures diet is the same.

To me, thats a good list of ingredients and i consider burns to be the dry version.

if ur dogs skin isnt good as u put it i would avoid any cereal ingredients in the food.
there arent many dry foods on the market that contain good quality ingredients imo.

heres a couple of pages ive scanned from a book about ingredients, maybe it'll help

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I have heard good things about CSJ so will be interested to hear how you get on.

I feed JW as well as raw tripe and raw mince, and my dogs look great and really enjoy their food, so even though I would like to spend a little less on their diet, I don't feel I can
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Well i got my new dog food yesterday, dogs love it. I'll keep yuo posted on how their health seems after a while on it.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2006, 03:35 PM
CSJ Champ ingrediants:

Cereals/bakery products, Meat and meat derivatives (min 27%), Beet pulp (min 2.5%), Oils and Fats, Minerals and Vitamins, EEC permitted anti-oxidant BHT.

It's only the £8 bit that would appeal to me.
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
CSJ Champ ingrediants:

Cereals/bakery products, Meat and meat derivatives (min 27%), Beet pulp (min 2.5%), Oils and Fats, Minerals and Vitamins, EEC permitted anti-oxidant BHT.

It's only the £8 bit that would appeal to me.
well everyone is entitled to their opinions, As far as comercial dog food is concerned, I am VERY impressed with Champ so far. I really cant see much of of a difference in ingredients to that of Burns;

Brown Rice (min 63%), Chicken(min 20%), Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil,Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals & Vitamins

For an extra £30 a bag, i dont see that much of a difference, for the extra £30 Im sure I could feed raw, but I dont have the time or the money to feed raw, or £38 processed dog food. Champ is doing just as well, in fact better than Burns, because my two actually enjoy eating this new food.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >