View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah howard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2006, 09:25 AM

can anyone reccomend a good breed of dog for a house with a toddler?

Hi

Any ideas? We already have a mongrel and would like another dog?

Sarah
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 09:27 AM
the cavalier is a great dog with children
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 09:32 AM
NOT a terrier...and I have one
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2006, 09:33 AM
How do your child and the resident dog get along? Any problems, large or small?

Staffordshire Bull Terriers are renowned for their love of and patience with children, but some can be intolerant of other dogs.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Have PM'd you with a questionaire thingy, it will help you match a breed to you
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 09:44 AM
There are all kinds of dogs that are great with children - the gundogs in particular - Labs, Retrievers, Spaniels etc. It all depends on what you want to do with your new dog and what kind of exercise/activities he/she will be involved in?
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Yes, A Bichon Frise. They are exremely gentle with toddlers cats, good with other dogs and of course because they have a wooley non moulting coat, they are brilliant for allergy sufferers. However the down side - if you can call it that is they need regular grooming and a hair cut about every 6 weeks or so. you can go to a groomer or it's not difficult to do yourself. Look at some of Foxy's posts of her lovely Benji or I have posted a few of Billy Bob and Fleur.

This is Megan our 2 y.o. toddler asleep on Billy Bob

Here she is with the two Bichons - she can walk them.

On the bed with them both - we had just got Fleur that very day and they bothhave been rehomed with us, so it's not as though they grew up knowing Megan.

Billy Bob playing house with Megan

and Billy Bob with Megan and bruce (whom we sadly lost recently)

I hope you can see from these few pics what gentle delightful little dogs they are.

Kath XX
sarah howard
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-08-2006, 09:49 AM
what has happened is as follows. We've had tess for 2 years from the dogs home and she's a star. We got a cross bull terrier on sunday, male, seemed to be a lovely dog and tess found him ok. But llast night they started fighting and he locked on to tess and wouldn't let go. he really scared us and I'm frightened if he gets hold of my little boy we wouldn't be able to get him off. We got tess before our little boy was born.

Some people have suggested a puppy?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2006, 10:00 AM
What are you doing about the Bull Terrier cross? Do you still have him? Are you wishing to keep him? Have you returned him? What was your reaction and what was the outcome of the incident between him and your resident dog?

All puppies, by their nature, are very excitable and may chase & nip children until they are taught otherwise.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by sarah howard
what has happened is as follows. We've had tess for 2 years from the dogs home and she's a star. We got a cross bull terrier on sunday, male, seemed to be a lovely dog and tess found him ok. But llast night they started fighting and he locked on to tess and wouldn't let go. he really scared us and I'm frightened if he gets hold of my little boy we wouldn't be able to get him off. We got tess before our little boy was born.

Some people have suggested a puppy?
Puppies can be good if you have the time and devotion to train them properly but, often toddlers don't understand about puppies and can be too rough with them. That being said our older two (23 and 21) grew up with puppies around them as we used to breed an odd litter back then. But, ours were the exception I would say as we always had a house full of animals as I used to rescue all sorts including wild ones, as well as having pet lambs, goats rabbits, guinea pigs, horses, ponies, cats, a calf and wild deer and hens and ducks! So they never knew any different and understood from a very early age to treat animals with love and respect. I don't know your toddler, only you could say if this would be the case with a puppy.
Perhaps if your interested in a certain breed it may be worth contacting the breed society. It's laways worth doing your research properly beforhand though. Hopes this helps a little.

Good luck.

Kath XX
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >