Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 11:38 AM

Dentist check up.

I went for a check up at the dentist yesterday and surprise surprise, have to have 4 fillings replaced at the cost of £160 Funny why these fillings didn't need replacing whilst he was an NHS dentist isn't it.

So those of you who still have an NHS dentist, get all the treatment you can whilst you can because I reckon they will all go private soon.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Boo in oh so many ways...I hate the dentist ( no offence any dentists on here) BIG phoebia, HUGE...yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk.
Poor you Foxy.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
Boo in oh so many ways...I hate the dentist ( no offence any dentists on here) BIG phoebia, HUGE...yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk.
Poor you Foxy.

It's not the treatment that hurts anymore - it's the price
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 11:52 AM
i like the dentist but i have only had to pay my £13 when i see him so that is prob why. sorry you had to pay so much.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by lillybet
i like the dentist but i have only had to pay my £13 when i see him so that is prob why. sorry you had to pay so much.

Yes he suddenly went private on 1st February this year letting us know by a letter just before Christmas and any check-ups already booked after this date were automatically cancelled so its been quite a while since I had a check up There are no other NHS dentists in the area either, so its private or nothing - and I have to pay £13 a month on top of this by direct debit so its a costly business having teeth these days
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Ouch! Bet that hurts Foxy!!

I actually asked my dentist the other week if he had gone private, and he said "no way!" BUT, the treatment I've recently had isn't covered under the NHS anyway, so it cost me £1300!!! That was a very big OUCH! I don't know why we have to have these teeth and all the problems and expense they cause. I might have all mine whipped out and get some plastic jobs!!

Yes, funny that isn't it, that they didn't need replacing all the time he was an NHS dentist, hmmmmmmmm. We've got quite a few opened up down here now which have great big signs plastered outside that they're NHS, so we must be lucky? I'm very happy with mine though, and he actually said, the difference we would pay whether he was private or NHS wasn't that much anyway nowadays? Best of luck with your 4 fillings though, I don't envy you I had enough of that great big needle 3 weeks ago to last me a lifetime! Hate them!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Ouch! Bet that hurts Foxy!!

I actually asked my dentist the other week if he had gone private, and he said "no way!" BUT, the treatment I've recently had isn't covered under the NHS anyway, so it cost me £1300!!! That was a very big OUCH! I don't know why we have to have these teeth and all the problems and expense they cause. I might have all mine whipped out and get some plastic jobs!!

Yes, funny that isn't it, that they didn't need replacing all the time he was an NHS dentist, hmmmmmmmm. We've got quite a few opened up down here now which have great big signs plastered outside that they're NHS, so we must be lucky? I'm very happy with mine though, and he actually said, the difference we would pay whether he was private or NHS wasn't that much anyway nowadays? Best of luck with your 4 fillings though, I don't envy you I had enough of that great big needle 3 weeks ago to last me a lifetime! Hate them!

Thanks Helen - although the needle is the least of my worries I don't actually mind if the needle is at the back - its the front that I hate it in cos it makes your eyes water doesn't it.

I did read a notice on the wall that said you could have a cup of coffee before or after your appointment - I would rather do without the perks and have it cheaper He also has a fancy machine that takes a photo of your tooth and puts it on a screen so you can see what he is going to do - thats another thing I could do without, I just want them to get on with it and get it over with

Oh and he has a television on the ceiling too but most of the time he is in front of your eyes so you can't actually see it.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I've only just managed to find an NHS dentist after searching for nearly a year. Hopefully they won't go private anytime soon!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie
I've only just managed to find an NHS dentist after searching for nearly a year. Hopefully they won't go private anytime soon!

I hope not Wolfie cos they are a pain in more ways than one

There was something in the paper that an NHS dentist 'might' open up down the road from me - I really hope he does and I can get me and the kids on his list.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2006, 02:52 PM
My dentist went private about 10 years ago, and I would'nt change him for anything. still have check ups every 6 months, hardly ever have any fillings, and he never suggests the more expensive alternative either. Last year I had one of my back teeth crowned because the filling broke, but I had to ask if it was possible to crown it rather than fill it again. He was so apologetic about the price too. and thankfully a long way from retiring too. oh yeah, he still does kids on the NHS although mine now have to pay as they are too old.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >