Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 09:17 PM

Rent/Keep-Teenagers-How Much ?

Just wondered what you all ask for in the way of keep when your kids go out to work ?

My daughter has worked on and off since leaving school at the age of 16 (18 in a couple of weeks )

We have not taken any money from her up until 2 weeks ago, and her mobile phone contract was being paid for out of our account.

All her personal toiletries were/are included in our weekly shop.

We asked for £10 per week, she didn't pay it so I have doubled it!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2006, 09:21 PM
When I first left school and started work, I used to pay my mum a third of my wages. It included my contribution to gas, electric, food, house contents insurance etc. I had to pay my own mobile phone bill and buy my own toiletries, plus my own "poll tax". My mum did my washing and ironing for this money as well, but I had to clean my own bedroom.

I thought it was a good price!
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I always made by children pay housekeeping. Even if you save it for when they leave home it is a good lesson in learning that living doesnt come free.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I used to have to pay £25 a week when I lived with my dad and step-mum, that was about 13 years ago.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 09:36 PM
when i was home and working i used to pay £3.50 a week that was years ago and that was for everything apart from phone and own personal things and i thought that was good my brother who is working and still lives at home he pays the same£3.50 a week
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 09:56 PM
21 years ago I used to pay £20 per week. My boyfriend at that time used to work away alot and he paid £40 per week when at home and £25 per week whilst away. His mum said this was because if he was renting he would have to pay whether he was there or not
AxlAndChaos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2006, 10:27 PM
At the age of 18 i would at least make her buy her own toiletries and pay her own mobile, my brother still lives at home and pays £30 a week (when he remembers) but that covers food, gas electric , house phone, and my mum being my mum, buys his clothes too all his "personal" stuff he pays himself, he also has to half in for car insurance as he uses my mums car. when i lived at home and was working it was £20 a week, mobiles werent invented yet and i didnt drive lol
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I am 18 and go to college- i dont pay board or rent. My mum said as long as i stayed in education then i wouldn't have to pay it. My friend at college gives her mum £80 every pay day (every 2 weeks) and thats for everything.

When my brother leaves school in June, if he goes to college then he won't have to pay rent, but if he doesn't he will.

I think its important to learn the lesson of paying for things, but i will get this experience when i go to university in september
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2006, 11:20 PM
I made both my sons pay a third of their take home pay to me. They complained a lot at the time and said all their friends paid either nothing or a few pounds a week but I told them a) I am a single parent and have brought you up single handed with nil help from your dad and b) even if I had millions you would still pay a realistic amount in rent as you will be doing that in the real world anyway, so get used to it - or move out. The youngest has just left - at 27!!! So it can't have been that bad!!! He has learned how to budget by always having to tip up at home, and reckons he is worst off now, but knows he needs to stand on his own 2 feet at some time.
My eldest left home at 21, has bought his own house on a 15 year mortgage, so at 36 is mortgage free all because he was so used to giving a realistic amount at home and never really missed it when he hit the real world.
So you are doing them a favour, they may not see it like that at the moment though!!!!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 11:34 PM
£10 a week ..........................crikey can i move in and get my phone bill paid please
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >