Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 11:51 AM

Anybody got Windows Millenium?

My sisters computer is Windows Millenium and it is soooo hard to do anything on it - nothing works as it should on it. She needed some ink putting in her printer the other night and it just would not let me put any in - the option where you can change the ink couldn't be clicked on. I did a system restore on it and took it back to January 2005 but its still a pain.

Anybody else using this system and how do they find it?
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Sounds odd Foxy, did you try changing the ink without using any settings on the pc?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 12:40 PM
It is more or less the same as Windows 98 and I used it until I moved onto XP with no problems at all. Sounds as if there is a problem, may be a virus, may be a hitch in a program or something that has been uploaded like a photo file, try doing a system restore to a time before the problem started. Also delete and then restore the printer.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Everyone I know of who tried it soon ditched it because it was awful! The version of Windows that I use is 98SE, would have preferred Win 2000 but what I've got is (was) OK.

Upgrading to XP on an older PC is potentially difficult, I've heard... The OS I'm using at the moment is Mepis as I think I may have mentioned... But in all honesty, don't go there unless someone who uses the PC is pretty computer literate. Mrs. C and my boys use the PC no probs as users, but I do all the administrator stuff which can involve some techie poking about to get things running smoothly.

Anyway, to re-iterate. The feedback I've heard about Millennium edition is that it is garbage!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I had it on an old pc once Foxy, it was a nightmare, and I was told it was c*ap and to get rid of it but I got rid of the pc instead!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
It is more or less the same as Windows 98 and I used it until I moved onto XP with no problems at all. Sounds as if there is a problem, may be a virus, may be a hitch in a program or something that has been uploaded like a photo file, try doing a system restore to a time before the problem started. Also delete and then restore the printer.

Yes I restored it back as far as it would go which was January 2005 and I was going to delete and reinstall the printer but she has lost the cd that you install it with so I am going to have to take my disc up next time I go there and do it with that (we have the same Epson printer)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 01:24 PM
It should do it automatically, most Epsom printers are plug and play
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
I had it on an old pc once Foxy, it was a nightmare, and I was told it was c*ap and to get rid of it but I got rid of the pc instead!

Yes it does seem a load of rubbish and the worst thing was she bought it from PC World and paid a fortune for it just before Windows XP came out. I think she is thinking about getting a laptop now when she can afford it because she doesn't spend that much time on the computer and it would be handy for her to be able to move around with it than being tied to one room upstairs.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
It should do it automatically, most Epsom printers are plug and play

Won't she need the installation disc though if I delete the printer?
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Won't she need the installation disc though if I delete the printer?
if she doesn't have the installation software she'll be able to download the driver from the printer website
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >