Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 12:54 PM

Over Protective Staffordshire

Is it true that a dog will always try to protect what they consider to be the weaker member of the pack?

Just asking this because Danny is really protective over me. OH can't even give me a cuddle and he's in there like lightning telling OH to back off! After reassurance, he's happy to back off but it caused a problem at the vets the other day.

We had Danny at the innoculation clinic (not his usual vet whom he's fine with) and Danny seemed to take an instant dislike to the male vet. This was his second trip there and he was fine first time round with the female vet.
Danny seemed overly concerned that the vet had to get close to me to check him out. Wasn't too pleased at having his eye balls pushed in but his main grumble was the vet being very close to me Needless to say, vet was a tad shirty about it and said some obedience training wouldn't go a miss

Is it down to obedience or Danny's need to protect me?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 12:57 PM
my vet is always saying obediance training is needed but she is obediant she doesnt like going on the vets table!!!

i think so oong as he is reassured that you dont need protecting then he should be fine. i would only worry if he tried biting or getting overly aggressive....

Alex
xx
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks Alex

Maybe he could just sense that me and OH didn't like the vet - Danny is very sensitive to stuff like that.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 01:05 PM
could be if he thinks you are wary of the vet then he may feel he needs to protect you...
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 01:08 PM
sounds about right, I trust our normal vet totally and Danny is always pleased to see him. Just hadn't met this one before (different practice) so that makes sense.

Me and OH just laugh when he gets in between us - if he could speak he'd be saying "right you two, break it up now"
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by minky
sounds about right, I trust our normal vet totally and Danny is always pleased to see him. Just hadn't met this one before (different practice) so that makes sense.

Me and OH just laugh when he gets in between us - if he could speak he'd be saying "right you two, break it up now"
Loki doesnt like OH kissing or hugging me, dont think he's being protective though just jealous he always manages to pop u in the middle of us licking both of us as if to say right enough of that pay me attention!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 03:12 PM
i know that feeling during mummy and daddy moments!!!! i think she sometimes wants in on the love!!!! dont think she realises that that really isnt the time!!!
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah
Loki doesnt like OH kissing or hugging me, dont think he's being protective though just jealous he always manages to pop u in the middle of us licking both of us as if to say right enough of that pay me attention!
Funny isn't it
OH thought it would be funny to pretent to hit me - Danny was dangling off of his arm
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by chinaowner
i know that feeling during mummy and daddy moments!!!! i think she sometimes wants in on the love!!!! dont think she realises that that really isnt the time!!!
Ah, thankfully that is the one time when he will LEAVE WELL ALONE
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by minky
Funny isn't it
OH thought it would be funny to pretent to hit me - Danny was dangling off of his arm

if me and OH have a play fight china starts barking and jumping up as if to separate us!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >