View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 11:09 AM

Irritated eye/conjunctivitis/possible causes.

Some of you will know that Archie suffered from pretty bad, persistent conjunctivitis during the summer.

When it started getting colder and we put him on A/B it went away, so I figured it was probably hayfever.

However, his right eye has been looking slightly gunky for a week or so (I have not allowed it to get infected, been cleaning it well with eyebright)

The problem seemed to get worse a few days ago when I handstripped him using a bit of chalk. His right eye went very bloodshot, and at the same time I noticed my own eyes becoming very dry and sore.

Could it be the chalk that irritates his eyes then? I'm sure he's got a sensitive eye as it seems to flare up with just anything, but the chalk seems to irritate it more than anything.

Shall I stop using the chalk? Is there anything else I can use on his eyes, perhaps something that will make them less prone to irritation?

NB I've used saline solution in the past, but now use eyebright as it seems to help and is more soothing.... you can see little Archie breathing a sigh of relief when you put it on his eye...
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 11:12 AM
i would not use it for a while and see if things improve as eyes can be sensitive ....I personally can't use talc or spray deodorant it makes my eyes sore and my nose run .
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Yeah the thing is we hadn't stripped Archie in ages because it's so cold... just did a tiny bit here and there but without chalk... to be fair his eyes were a little irritated before I got the chalk out this week, but they seemed a lot worse after using it

I'll put it away again and see how it goes
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi Tuti it may be the chalk, if so try to keep it away from Archies eyes, if you are using a chalk block there shouldn't be a lot floating around, maybe just use it on the body area. I have often stripped dogs outdoors (weather permitting) that way the chalk is blown away.

I prefer a mild saline solution to other eye preperations because it has a similar composition to tears (it costs a great deal less too )If the eye is really sore it is best to let the vet see it in case there is any infection.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi Mini... I do strip him in the garden in summer but it's still a bit cold for that

Archie's hair mostly comes out nicely without having to use chalk, unfortunately it's the ahir on his ears that needs chalking to come out... typical isn't it

re: saline solution, I have used it before to clean the eyes but a tea made from eyebright seems to help much more than saline... also vet said it's fine to use eyebright

The eye is not as sore as it was a couple of days ago, the eyebright seems to be clearing it up, but if it's not clear in a few days I'll ring the vet...