Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Does your dog sigh?

I wanted to post this in the dog discussion and debates section, but u need 20 posts, to be able to post in there!

I read in a dog book, that when a dog sighs it means they are contented and happy. Its like the opposite of what humans do, humans sigh because they are sad, depressed, or annoyed. Where as (according to this book) dogs do it because they are relaxed and happy.

What do you think?

My reason for asking is because shadow often sighs, and when she does it she looks sad (mind u, she seems to constantly have that sad look on her face, especially when I'm eating something and shes not!) I dont like the thought of her being unhappy.

Do any of your dogs sigh?
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Yep, Archie sighs all the time.... usually when he has just spent 10min walking in circles round my bed and has finally settled down

He also makes grumbly moany old man noises if he's really sleepy and contented and you stroke him or cuddle him
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
Yep, Archie sighs all the time.... usually when he has just spent 10min walking in circles round my bed and has finally settled down

He also makes grumbly moany old man noises if he's really sleepy and contented and you stroke him or cuddle him
Bobs the some when he wants a bit of petting he will junp up and lick your ears
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Fern sighs as well and like lots of people I thought it was because he was depressed, what book were you reading?

Curious to see how the came to the conclusion.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I reckon they are sighs of contentment, when they are sort of relaxing their whole body

Mind you Archie also sighs (it's a half sigh half whine/grumble) very loudly when he is frustrated example: if I am eating a pate sandwich or some yogurt or something else he really wants, he will sit in front of me doing all his tricks (even though he knows begging is not allowed!) and doing the frustrated sigh/whines it always cracks me up
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 02:08 PM
yep bruno sighs, whines, moans, grumbles, farts, howls and many other bizarre and wonderful noises.

The sigh is particularly common though and is most often used when he has stopped doing something or wants something from you/
buster1
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-12-2005, 02:11 PM
tiny does too
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Kai doesnt just sigh he .... hmphs
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 02:16 PM
yep bruno sighs, whines, moans, grumbles, farts, howls and many other bizarre and wonderful noises.

The sigh is particularly common though and is most often used when he has stopped doing something or wants something from you/
LOL@Brundog, Cassie's exactly the same.
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Fern sighs as well and like lots of people I thought it was because he was depressed, what book were you reading?

Curious to see how the came to the conclusion.
It was in Jan Fennels "The Dog whisperer" book. Not sure if any one has read her books? I agree with some of her teachings, but not many. I try to follow NILIF myself.

She also says that when dogs stretch out in front of you it means they are comfortable in your presence.

Again not sure where she draws her conclusions.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >