Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2006, 09:29 PM

Crop Eared Boxer

At the show on Sunday, I saw a crop eared Boxer for the first time ever. In fact, it was the first dog with cropped ears I had seen "in the flesh", having only seen pics of Danes and Dobes like that.

I have to say it looked odd, maybe because it was unusual, similar to how I felt when I saw a traditionally docked breed with a full tail - just "different".
It was causing quite a stir with a lot of people nudging each other and muttering under their breath.

Has anyone seen any in the UK?
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-05-2006, 09:37 PM
no i have never seen one, only on tv, and like you the dobes, as you say its something different, not sure of the point to it, is it just cosmetic reasons
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Unlike the docking debate, I've never heard the arguments "for" ear cropping and as for arguments "against", they are pretty easy to guess.
Perhaps someone can explain?
beanieman
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy
Unlike the docking debate, I've never heard the arguments "for" ear cropping and as for arguments "against", they are pretty easy to guess.
Perhaps someone can explain?

would be interesting
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-05-2006, 09:56 PM
i think 1 of the reasons some are for it is to let the ears breath, less chance of problems etc.
i have never seen 1 in the uk but i don't like them cropped would sooner see any breed with the natural ears to be honest.
it changes the look of the dog totally.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2006, 10:37 PM
How strange I've not heared of that before and at a show hmmmmmmmm
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Never seen one and not a fan TBH.

I always thought it was done purely to make the dog look more "agressive" as such?
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2006, 02:32 AM
Sorry, but do you mean to say you've never seen a Boxer with its ears cropped before? I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. I am actually very surprised. See, where I live, crop-eared breeds are all I ever see. If I see a Boxer, its ears are cropped. If I see a Dobe, its ears are cropped. If I see a Dane, its ears are cropped. Actually, seeing these breeds without cropped ears is a surprise and sadly looks unusual to me because I am so used to seeing them with cropped ears.

Personally, I think all of these breeds look so handsome with their ears. If I ever get a breed that is known to have cropped ears, I would choose to not crop. Working at a vet, I see how hard it is sometimes for the pups that come in to have their ears restacked every other day. Their poor ears get so raw and bloody. When the tape is taken off, it sometimes rips out the stitches. I think I have decided that, as far as a pet dog goes, I am against cropping ears. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Isn't it strange how cultures are so different sometimes when it comes to the exact same things, such as pedigree dogs?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2006, 05:45 AM
I've only ever seen it in the USA, and in books, and personally, I'm not keen. I had a Dane and she was waaaaay too beautiful with her ears "normal" to have them cropped. Don't like it. JMO though

Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2006, 07:12 AM
The ears of Boxers were cropped originally to prevent injury when pit fighting or bear baiting. Ears have an abundant supply of blood vessels and bleed freely when torn. The fighting/baiting dog blinded by flowing blood is at an obvious disadvantage. Such crops however were very short - totally unlike the tapering 'show' crop which serves no purpose.

Short 'military' crops were performed on working guard dogs to remove ear-flaps vulnerable to being twisted and thus distracting the dog from holding down its human quarry. Such crops were also believed to make the dog look more intimidating.

The show crop is said to complement the head. The mother of one of my dogs is a cropped USA import. She has a stunning head which, in my opinion, would look even better with natural ears
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >