Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Why?

When people donate to charitys it's always the human ones & when asked if they could donate items (not money) they no longer use they deem it unworthy becase its for animals? You get a WHAT ...ANIMALS ?

Their quicker to give the bigger charitys but have a problem when asked for old blankets etc?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 11:08 AM
god knows....i think people underestimate the impact giving to smaller snimal charities can have!
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by MBll
When people donate to charitys it's always the human ones & when asked if they could donate items (not money) they no longer use they deem it unworthy becase its for animals? You get a WHAT ...ANIMALS ?

Their quicker to give the bigger charitys but have a problem when asked for old blankets etc?
Sad isn't it
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Not sure it is true really, every supermarket seems to have a bin for food to be left for animals in rescue and when there are appeals for bedding or blankets there seems to be a good response. Perhaps it depends on if the people asked have set ideas as to where any spare cash or effort will go. Others may only give to a Cancer charity or one concerning children, when you see how much money companies like the RSPCA receive each and every year I think people do give to animals but perhaps do not think hard enough to which animal charity they give and what they can spare go to those who have enough to advertise and others who are living hand to mouth do without.
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2005, 01:19 PM
I mainly just give to local charities because I have my suspisions about the big charities - where is the money going? on the endless amount of promotional material, you know the ones that give you free pens/umbrellas in the post, on the salaries and administration costs etc.

It really annoys me especially the people in the streets stopping you to get a direct debit for charities. Then I ask them are they volunteering doing this job. One guy eventually told me he gets paid £12k per year. WHAT?!

Anyhow I always take a load of stuff up to local rescue centres. I took up 7 15kg dog food and toys and chews, biscuits etc last week to a small independant local centre and they were so grateful.

I figure I spend so much on my dogs, and there are so many that are in need, and people struggling to do their best for them that a few pounds of stuff and things I dont need anymore is hugely benefical to them.

I also put my change in shops into the collecting tins at the tills for local charities.

Maybe Im just cynical about the 'big boys' but since that undercover programme on the clothing charities selling the clothes you put out for the collections at home its made me think and give local now.