Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 09:55 AM

When to spey

I'm seriously thinking about getting my 4 year old Staffie speyed.
She has had 2 litters, and I don't want her to have any more.
We have her son from her first litter who is now coming up to 19 months, and I certainly don't want any accidents. I'm confident that I wouldn't allow that to happen, but why take the risk if I don't have to.
We also have another bitch in the house who I won't be getting speyed, or not for a few years anyway, as I plan a litter in the future from her.
So for Toesy sake as well, it would be best to get mum done.
Now for the questions.
When is the best time to get it done, does it have to be a certain time between seasons, or can it be done anytime.
The first day of her last season was 18th Feb, but she was mated on day 15 and had a pup on the 5th May. If she has her season roughly the same time as she had one after her first litter, then she'll be due about the middle of October. So roughly in a months time. Would I have time to get her speyed before her season, or will I have to wait untill she's had her season.
And just as importent will it change her in any way, and more importently will it change the relationship between the 2 bitches.
At the moment they get 99.9% of the time. My other bitch is 10 months.
I'll be glad of any info before I make the final decision.

Mitch.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi Mitch,

I was told that the best time is 3 months after a season so in between seasons would be about right. I had my Stafford bitch Kip done a few years back about 2½ months after her season had ended and I have had no problems.

One thing I would say though is your vet would be best to talk to as they will advise on the correct timing and the procedure in general and put your mind at rest.

Generally it shouldnt change the bitch although in a slightly more boisterous dog it can calm them down (am still waiting on this to happen to kip lol).

Also one thing to watch very carefuly is her weight as sometimes the operation can slow down their metabolism by as much as 25%. I have struggled with Kips weight ever since she was speyed.

I hope that helps.
Laura
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:04 AM
If he says it is too late before this season why not ask him for the contraceptive injection? It cost me £30 for Tam to have her injection and it worked a treat. Tam took us a little by surprise and had her season exactly 4 months after finishing her previous season.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi ,Mitch,

I have had my two previous Staffs spayed and they had no change in character/temp at all although neither lived with another bitch like yours does.

The one was spayed same as you because she lived
with a dog and the other because she had closed phyomtrea.
The vet advised 3 months after the last season for the first but the second was an emergency.

And I'd agree with the posible weight gain problem that Laura said, both mine had a tendency to put on weight afterwards but with a sensible approach nothing that caused any bother.

Karen
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi Laura,
Thanks for the help, and yes I'll talk to my vet about it.
I'd heard that they can put on weight when they have been speyed, so I'll definitely be watching her closely, I don't want a fat Staff
It would be nice if it calmed her down, she is much more excitable than the other two. But I can't see that happening somehow.

Staffy, What does the contraceptive injection do, Does it just stop her getting pregnant if an accident occurs, or does it stop the scent so the dog isn't attracted to her.

Mitch,
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:26 AM
It stops the season completely Mitch. The morning b4 we went to the vets Jas was all over Tam like a rash by the time we got home the injection had started working and Jasper completely lost interest in her.
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Hi Karen, thanks for your reply too, it wasn't there when I answered the other two.
It seems I'm going to have to let her have this season first.
It's the 2 bitch thing that is worring me the most. I'd hate to think they didn't get on afterwards.

Is there anyone who can advise me on this.
Will it make my younger bitch, think she can now take over the older ones role.

Mitch.
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:36 AM
So it's ok to do this then Staffy.
Then what, would she get speyed about 3 months after the would be season.

Mitch.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Yep
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2004, 11:01 AM
HI Mitch,

I had no problems with my two. I have Kip our stafford X (speyed) and Cassy and Irish Stafford (unspeyed). It never changed their roles within the house and apart from Cassy being more sensitive after the op they behaved like normal.

Laura
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >