Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2005, 12:18 PM

Do dogs worry???

Earlier today after taking Vegas for a long walk over in the fields,i took him to the rehoming shelter i got him from to buy some treats.This is the first time he's been back there since bringing him home a few months ago and while driving up the road to the shelter-he was displaying signs of anxiety (constantly looking about/eyes like saucers and didnt appear happy).

He didnt seem too intrested in his surroundings while walking to the shop,but once inside-his intrest in the toys/food etc soon overwhelmed him.

Am i imagining this behaviour or do you think he was genuinly worried about going back for a third time???
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 12:25 PM
He was obviously stressed and remembered the rehoming shelter, maybe thought you were going to leave him there....
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 12:26 PM
He could well of known and remembered the rescue from the smells etc and thats why he was behaving like that because he thought you were taking him back.
Or he could sense from your reactions to be worried, were you worrying what he might make of it? being his first time back there? Dogs can pick up on our reactions and behaviour too.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Moli
He was obviously stressed and remembered the rehoming shelter, maybe thought you were going to leave him there....
As Moli and Natasha say Vagas will have remembered the center and the sight/sound/smell
...dogs are great on observing every tiny gesture we perform, observation and remembered experiences play a huge part in their language..
...bless his heart he may have thought you were taking him back for good...
...give him lots of cuddles today to make him feel safe
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I would sya he recognized the place... And not for anything as good as wot he has now.

Maybe its giving the dog too many human signs, but I definately think he knew exactly where he was... And didnt like it much...
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Natasha
He could well of known and remembered the rescue from the smells etc and thats why he was behaving like that because he thought you were taking him back.
Or he could sense from your reactions to be worried, were you worrying what he might make of it? being his first time back there? Dogs can pick up on our reactions and behaviour too.
No,i wasnt worried Nat-infact on the drive there,i was talking to him in a jovial kind of way like i always do (im forever talking to him and peeps looking in must think im mad!).The shop faces the dog kennel reception and Vegas clearly didnt want to go near it after we came out so had a sit on the picnic benches nearby where he appeared to be alright.Not sure if i should try and get him used to visiting there or not,now i know how he reacts.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
(
...give him lots of cuddles today to make him feel safe
I would do,but i bought him a bone thing and now after eating-he's flat out asleep!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I would do,but i bought him a bone thing and now after eating-he's flat out asleep!
Awwwwwwww
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 12:49 PM
It's an interesting question isn't it Steve?
I think the answer is yes, but not in a way that's exactly like a human - they haven't got the same brain power/imagination. They have got memories though..

We had exactly the same experience with our old rescue Danny. We went back to the Blue Cross about 3 months after we got him, to show them how well he was doing and to leave a donation. He trembled like a leaf . We stayed long enough for the kennel girls to come and say hello (and he was happy to say hello to them) but made up our minds to never go back again. Maybe that was wrong, maybe if we had gone another time, and another after that, he would have relised he was safe with us? Who knows? We're too soft to try!
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
No,i wasnt worried Nat-infact on the drive there,i was talking to him in a jovial kind of way like i always do (im forever talking to him and peeps looking in must think im mad!).The shop faces the dog kennel reception and Vegas clearly didnt want to go near it after we came out so had a sit on the picnic benches nearby where he appeared to be alright.Not sure if i should try and get him used to visiting there or not,now i know how he reacts.
He will just remember the kennels then and what it was like before he found you Prob thought you were taking him back and all his memories of the place came back.
lol its ok I talk to Oscar too and get funny looks, its them that are weird not us, well thats what I tell myself anyway
Sounds like he has recovered just fine funny how bones alwalys take there minds of things, he was prob playing you so you would buy him a bone
Its upto you if you were take him there again you know him best, if it was me I would it would show him that there isnt anything to be worried about your not leaving him and will show him that he will alwalys come back with you, and if you go there quite often it would be nice to be able to take him too. After a while he will most likely get use to it if you show him theres nothing to be worried about and infact its fun to go there as he gets a reward out of it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >