View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jillyb15
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2015, 05:53 PM

Lipid deposits in dog's eyes - needs a low fat diet?

I have a 2 years and nine months old male Jack/Parson Russell cross, called Sidi. He is an active little dog who loves his runs on the beach and gets walked twice a day - around 80/90 minutes each time. Currently he is fed Acana small dog kibble which includes some oats. He weighs approx 10 kilos

This is, at last, a food I can actually get him to eat with just a small amount of "extras" to persuade him to finish the bowl. The amount he has is less than the recommended amount, as, because of some problems we have with him he gets a lot of treats when we are out and about - when he needs them.

So to get to the reason for my post. Sidi has some marks in his eyes which we thought could be cataracts, so we took him to the vets for a check up. We were advised not cataracts but are lipid deposits. Blood tests were carried out because this could be due to various conditions, thyroid, cholesterol, etc.

The initial test results have come back and he has high cholesterol and high triglicerides - no obvious reason, could be idiopathic, further tests are being carried out on his blood for Cushings disease, I think from what I've read though he is a bit young for that although he is obviously a small dog.

When I asked the vet for advice he mentioned Hills (either I/d or R/d can't remember which) or Royal Canin, although he didn't recommend either. I am considering Acana Light and Fit and I wondered if anyone had any experience of this food, or would recommend anything else. He seems to prefer foods with an element of grain - have offered non grain foods and he's refused them. And he does not like wet food nor anything with a lot of fish in it.

Any advice gratefully received and sorry for long post but tried to include as much info as possible.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Have you thought about a species appropriate diet Jilly? I know you've said Sidi prefers grains but grains are not really an appropriate food for dogs (even for humans, really).

Also I am not fan of low fat diets because fat is essential to good health - it just has to be good fat (from animal sources not vegetable oils - apart from Olive oil, Avocado oil, coconut oil etc).
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Dogs make their own carbs from animal fats, so whilst a low fat diet may be suitable for humans, it could be catastrophic for a dog. Because they make their own carbs they have no need whatsoever for artificial carbs in the form of grains or other types of fillers.
Jillyb15
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2015, 08:17 PM
Sorry perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I tried a couple of non grain kibbles which he refused to eat.

I'm not unhappy with the food he is on currently, and as it took me a lot of different samples to find something he'd eat I am actually loath to change it. Which is why I was looking at the Acana light and fit.

Vet did tell me that high cholesterol does not cause furring of the arteries in dogs as it does in humans, so I think I'll stick with his current food and obviously monitor his eyes.

Thanks both for responding so quickly.

Jill
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2015, 08:24 PM
You could ask your vet if niacin would help.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jillyb15 View Post
Sorry perhaps I haven't made myself clear. I tried a couple of non grain kibbles which he refused to eat.

I'm not unhappy with the food he is on currently, and as it took me a lot of different samples to find something he'd eat I am actually loath to change it. Which is why I was looking at the Acana light and fit.

Vet did tell me that high cholesterol does not cause furring of the arteries in dogs as it does in humans, so I think I'll stick with his current food and obviously monitor his eyes.

Thanks both for responding so quickly.

Jill
I would probably try home-cooked first, then, if you feel you have the time for it, raw.

If he doesn't like your home-cooked-dog-food, send him my way
Jillyb15
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Azz
Do we have any info on here re home cooked foods?

Jill
Azz
Administrator
Male 

Jillyb15
New Member!
Female 

11-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks Azz will look these up