Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RockySprocker
New Member!
Male 

19-06-2015, 04:59 AM

Sleeping issues

Hi All,

Recently joined Dogsey and I am looking for some advice on settling our sprocker pup into a sleeping routine. He is still crying every night, midway through the night and in the mornings. We've been pretty strict with him sleeping in his crate and he really likes it in there, but as soon as we're out of the room, he cries for 20 mins. This happens 3 times a night. Surprisingly, if we leave the house and we sneak back in unbeknownst to him, he doesn't seem to be crying at all. He has plenty of chew toys, hot water bottle, radio on softly and is 5 meters from our bedroom door. I fear that it may be the fact that he spends almost all day with myself or girlfriend and (although not always interacting) in the evenings he is alone. Should we try leaving him on his own for longer periods before bed?

Many thanks,
Nick
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Any chance you can move the crate inside your bed room?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Try covering the crate up to make it dark. Give him a piece of your clothing that you have been wearing that he can sleep against and if the crate is big enough give him a cuddly safe toy that you have also been sitting by or cuddling. This helps to make him know you are around. Do this over the day so that he gets used to being in there when you are around and moving about. Still keep the crate covered though. Get used to calling the crate his den. Sounds nicer.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Imagine yourself as a child,playing happily with your siblings,mum there in attendance. All of a sudden you are picked up and taken to a strange place where they speak a different language to that of you and your family. Instead of sleeping with your siblings you are put on your own without any contact with the people who have taken you there. You are alone and have no idea where you are and if you have been abandoned for good. Would you be scared? Would YOU cry?
RockySprocker
New Member!
Male 

19-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Thank you for all the responses. We'lol try moving his Den into our room for a few nights and then slowly moving it out. Covering it is a great idea too. Thank you.

Thanks all
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Den is definitely the way to go. Put things in that he can play with and snuggle up to. It has to be entertaining. My dogs always sleep with me, either in a den or by the side of my bed. Especially if they were rescues. Good Luck.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2015, 04:47 PM
We adopted two adults. Same idea though, both had separation issues. For a time when she was an only dog Sophie was okay on her own bed beside me on the floor.

Then with Callie we would settle him down on his own bed in my daughter's room. In the middle of the night he began wandering to our room at dawn to whimper loudly.

We gave up several chilly mornings and let him under the covers. Then of course Sophie wasn't letting him get away with that. So now we have 2 pups that equal the size of a small boned extra human in bed every night.

If you and/or your significant other are against bed sharing you have to be determined.