Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 05:46 PM

Puppy jumping at dogs faces

My MIL is wondering how to stop Billy, he's a JRT, he's been really good on the lead, he's only 6months old, but when he meets other dogs he jumps up at their faces, he does it to Rosie and she snaps at him. Quite understandably.
Will he grow out of it? Or is it something she will train him out of it? She does tell him to stop it but just wanted some advice. I've never had a dog that does it.
Thanks in advance
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-04-2014, 05:51 PM
I think any of these types of behaviours need to be trained out, he might get hurt if he keeps it up or does it to the wrong dog.
Maybe he needs to be leashed when around Rosie so he can be taken away from the situation till he hopefully learns it is rude or any other dog he meets if he is allowed to greet off lead.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Mil keeps on lead all the time when out, thing is he really don't care how big the dog is someone told her it's because Billy wants to be boss and he will grow out of it, but she said is he's worried he will get hurt.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-04-2014, 06:15 PM
I suppose he might but its what may happen in the mean time isn't it ? It won't be long before he loses puppy licence and even Rosie will get fed up of it in the end.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2014, 06:53 PM
I think he will grow out of it some, but it's still not a polite habit. Sooner or later, another dog will really snarl at him, and while that should help get the point across he could also get hurt.

I would work on teaching him more appropriate greeting behavior. You can prevent him from jumping at other dogs' faces by keeping him on a leash and using treats to reward more appropriate behavior such as just sniffing. If he gets too excited, I would just walk him away a bit until he calms down.

I think if you provide him with lots of exercise, like structured walks and also step up his obedience skills he will start to learn more overall self-control too, which will only help with his self-control around greeting other dogs.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Sounds like normal puppy behaviour the adult dog eventually will tell the puppy off & the behaviour will cease
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Sounds like normal puppy behaviour the adult dog eventually will tell the puppy off & the behaviour will cease
Yes I agree, think all ours have done it and they stop soon enough never had one continue into adulthood.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 05:51 AM
This hits very close to home for me. Nigredo did this when he was little. He jumps up on other dogs shoulders. He did this with Jade and she would snarl/bare teeth/growl/snap but it did not affect him.

He would ignore it and call her bluff. He'd skirt away from any snaps or snarls and then come back to annoy her more. Eventually she would give up, turn away, and retreat.

I have never dealt with such a placid adult dog, and frankly... he still sometimes oversteps his boundaries with her and puts his feet on her or lays on her etc. I had no idea that she truly needed my help with this "fearless" puppy.

He learned his lesson with other dogs after he put his feet up on a Greyhound and she was NONE too happy about it, but continued to torment Jade. I wish she had been more stern with him TBH.

That being said, I would not totally trust that the older dog will totally teach the younger dog. This is especially true if younger dog is going to outgrow older dog. As Nigredo got older and began to outgrow Jade - he got bolder and the problems only worsened.

I had to intervene to try and get Jade some space and peace and quiet. Distractions work a little bit, but they do not solve the problem. For me, I had to physically remove the puppy into a time out each time he got over his head.

I thought Jade would eventually be stern enough with him, but it wasn't going to happen and I waited too long and now she really doesn't like him even though they get along well enough with no fights etc.

Regret waiting for her to teach him, should have stepped in a lot sooner. Just don't want you to make the mistake I did and wait on the adult to stop the puppy when it's just not going to happen.

I had no experience with such a placid dog and had it been my Brownie, little Nigredo would have known his place from the get-go. Nigredo is a very well behaved dog when we go places, but at home he STILL sometimes bullies Jade and I have to step in and give her a break.

She is a very scared/nervous dog by nature anyway and he is now 15 months old, very active, and weighs a whopping 82 lbs to her little 54 lbs so she is VERY threatened by him when he bullies her so it must not be allowed.

Have a feeling I'll not be able to stop it totally. He just realizes this advantage and finds it fun to harass her. Is stopped as soon as I see it, but still happens on occasion sadly. She fears him too much to curl her lip at him, but she still hates it.

This pic says a lot. You have to read out older dogs body language. Something I failed to do big time...

This is Nigredo clearly harassing Jadey

You can see her curled lip, but you can also see the tucked tail, the ears folded, the submission. When this starts to happen, it's usually safe to say that older dog is going to need help. She was scared and did not know what to do.

His tail is up, and he's paying no attention to her snarl at all and is pretty much playing tug of war with her leg. He was less than 5 months old here, yet clearly was NOT afraid of her snarl.

I made the mistake of trying to wait until she stood up and chased him off etc. when he did these things to her, but it never happened and only worsened their relationship in the end.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 07:49 AM
TBH and I am not making light of your situation that is slightly different to normal puppy lunging behaviour. Mollie used to do it to dogs and very quickly learned (Katie and Rosie helped) to stop it, Betty did it and Mollie accepted it too much so we stopped it and she grew out of it. What you have there is not the same dynamic as just a bumptious puppy who is learning the limits.
Betty is quickly teaching Elsie and we are helping her because Elsie will be huge compared to Betty and must learn quickly not to monster her.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Thank you i will let MIL know, Rosie does tell Billy it's just he don't listen. So at the moment we only give them short time together cos Rosie gets very fed up with him and Billy don't know when to stop. But because we are a close family we'd like them to get on.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >