Female 

11-07-2014, 08:44 AM

I think Liz has missed the point...

http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/...t-perspective/
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2014, 09:11 AM
I don't think she missed the point at all. Not so sure about the comparison to the N word, but that is the way she went about it and oh, well. I agree with most of the commenters, and I also agree with Elizabeth.

This is merely her opinion regarding what the other article said about commercial breeders and puppy mills. He stated that the AKC should have never supported this place... yet he has no solid evidence that it's truly a bad place. He's only assuming that because they are listed as commercial breeding that it's a disgusting place etc.

She is only saying that it's exactly what people like him need to stop doing. You've not gone to these places, you've only seen what the media wants you to have seen. Do you really think that if nothing but unhealthy dogs came from these places that they'd stay in business?

Fact is many of the dogs from commercial breeders are just as healthy and solid as dogs from private "reputable" breeders. Who are they to say only they should be allowed to put more dogs into the world?

As long as the dogs are healthy, strong, and they get the dogs into homes... why should it matter if they breed "too many" dogs. To me all breeding is "too much" so it's all subjective. Point blank period... the world does not need more dogs.

I steer people clear of commercial breeding places because they have a reputation of being suspect... but it doesn't mean all of them are. I don't steer them towards breeders, though... I steer them towards rescues.

I HIGHLY DOUBT that the AKC would have publicly supported one that had been known to have ugly, ugly things on their background all over the place. Also, if the AKC supports them... likely many of their dogs are registered with them and/or have done well in shows, etc.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2014, 10:03 AM
This is yet another follow on from Puppy Mills and the American Kennel Club
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2014, 11:16 AM
All i 'heard' from the words she used was why cant we make money out of breeding dogs?

americas rescue issue is caused by imported dogs?

there are puppy 'mills' (large commercial concerns) and there are puppy mills (aka scum churning out litter after litter of ill and infirm pups)

the average joe doesnt give a hoot where the pup comes from just so long as they get what they want as soon as they decide they want it
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Understandable Dobermonkey, but I saw it differently... as stated. I certainly DO care where my puppy comes from, it will always be a shelter! Breeders, and poor dog owners who let their dogs roam are both responsible for dog overpopulation.

You can go around excluding "reputable" breeders and whoever's side you personally wish to take, but that is how I see it. Even many of the dogs sold by these types of breeders end up in questionable homes or end up getting lost, stolen, bred carelessly, or running away.

There is nothing wrong with a person getting the kind of dog they want. We should have that right. If a person wants a Labradoodle or some other mixed breed dog and is going to love it and care for it well, a "reputable" breeder of pure bred Labradors really needn't try and deny them that right.

All breeders are NOT created equally, but that does mean one group of breeders gets to tell another group they shouldn't breed. Absolutely not. The world does not work that way, and IMO it never should work that way.